CHICKENS & DUCKS situation

Kenzie22

Chirping
Oct 2, 2021
So, I have chickens, our neighbors have ducks and they are giving me their duck coop. should I do anything to get rid of any diseases or do ducks and chickens not transfer diseases?? ANY INFO HELPS!!

Clean it with soap and water and diluted bleach a few times, letting it air out for a few days in between. Unless your neighbors ducks were diseased, a few rounds of that should be good.
If you're worries about mites and such, my personal method (probably not expert recommended) is to use a flea and tick killing dog shampoo (I use Zodiac and it's worked well) and scrub down any wooden roosts. Let it soak in for maybe an hour or two then rinse them off and let them air out. That shampoo can be pretty toxic, so I wouldn't recommend doing that if the coop is small or poorly ventilated, but I use it as prevention pretty often and have done the same any time a chicken has gotten mites and it WORKS.

Clean it with soap and water and diluted bleach a few times, letting it air out for a few days in between. Unless your neighbors ducks were diseased, a few rounds of that should be good.
If you're worries about mites and such, my personal method (probably not expert recommended) is to use a flea and tick killing dog shampoo (I use Zodiac and it's worked well) and scrub down any wooden roosts. Let it soak in for maybe an hour or two then rinse them off and let them air out. That shampoo can be pretty toxic, so I wouldn't recommend doing that if the coop is small or poorly ventilated, but I use it as prevention pretty often and have done the same any time a chicken has gotten mites and it WORKS.
okay, can you attach a photo of the products that you use? also if we at one time found a fertile duck egg and put it under my chickens, is it even necessary to disinfect it? i guess what i am asking is, is it really necessary to bleach it and scrub it and all of that?

I would not bleach an egg if you want it to hatch. My understanding is that eggs from a healthy flock are pretty low risk anyway.

So this is the shampoo I use to clean the coop and bathe one hen I used to have who had a chronic SEVERE mite issue because she had a bad leg and couldn't groom herself properly:
1642124928178.png

and for less severe issues I use a cat-specific shampoo as those tend to be less toxic.
1642124992874.png

I would definitely bleach the coop at least once. If the ducks were healthy the rest might be overkill, especially if this is your neighbor and your birds have already mingled with theirs.

Okay, probably 6 months ago, i put one of the duck's egg (the duck this egg was from is one of the 6 that lived in the coop that i am wondering about.). After that being said is it necessary to disinfect it or have my chickens already been exposed to any diseases that these ducks may have had since i put the egg in one of the nest boxes to try and hatch it?

Back
Top Bottom