1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chickens dying afer laying eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by hacharlton, Feb 23, 2011.

1. hacharlton

hacharlton Out Of The Brooder

Oct 19, 2009
    I have Rhode Island Red Hens that are now starting lay. They were hatched last spring. Yesterday I found a dead hen when feeding and gathering eggs. I found 2 eggs covered in blood near the dead hen, and today I found a dead hen and also a blood covered egg. The hen's vents looked bloody and wide open. The eggs were not huge.
    Can chickens die laying eggs by tearing their vent?
    Are they missing something in their feed? I feed corn, hen scratch and laying pellets

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    They should mostly eat layer pellets, unless it is summer where you live and they get a lot foraging. Corn and scratch are not complete foods and provide a lot less protein than feed.

3. alaskachick

alaskachick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Wasilla, Alaska
    I have no answers or advice to give, but just wanted to say I sorry about the loss of your hens. [​IMG]

4. Ruth Ann

Ruth Ann Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2010
    South Carolina
    Sorry about your hens [​IMG]

5. ttfoster

ttfoster Out Of The Brooder

Sep 27, 2010
    Poor Babies and poor you! Sorry about that~ Hope your day will be better tomorrow!

6. maurerwerks

maurerwerks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2009
    Sunapee
    I don't have any answers on this either, but would like to hear one. Here's a bump and I'm so sorry for your losses! [​IMG]

7. Mac in Wisco

Mac in Wisco Antagonist

May 25, 2007
    SW Wisconsin
    Quote:Yes, they can. They may or may not die from the vent tearing or prolapse. If they don't die as a result of it, it's possible that the other birds are pecking at the bloody vent or killing the weakened birds.

Make sure they are not overweight. Overly fat birds can lead to a greater risk of vent tearing or prolapse.

8. TheyThinkI'mTheirMom

TheyThinkI'mTheirMom Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2008
    Saint Leonard, Maryland
    I'm sorry your chickens have passed. I've never ever heard of anything like this. Quite a lot to go through, I think:(

9. hacharlton

hacharlton Out Of The Brooder

Oct 19, 2009
    Thanks for the help y'all
    There have been no evidence of pecking on the hen, even near the vent. I guess we will see if any others have this happen when I get home from work today.

10. oconnorfamily25

oconnorfamily25 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2010
    That's terrible. I am sorry for your losses. :'(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by