Chickens dying afer laying eggs

I had the same thing happen to my two RIR. I went out one day and found one of my girls (Ziva) dead with a bloody egg still on her tail and a couple of weeks later the same thing with the other RIR ( Abby ). Don't really know what happened but it hasn't happened to any of my other girls so I figured I just wouldn't get anymore RIR's.

I am truly sorry. I really don't have a solution as I have never heard of this before. Do you have a county extension agent that deals with farm birds? You might want to give them a call.

Ok so my friends had the same thing happen to a couple of their chickens. I have had chickens for years and have never seen this ever! 10 plus years I'd say. Only had RIRs once though and now only have crosses. What do you do to prevent this or what is the cause. They said their vents were open and both were dead. Sounds horrible! Any ideas to help with this or what this is exactly would be nice to know. . And so sorry for your loss. Having chickens is so much fun but when things go wrong very stressful or heartbreaking
hit.gif
Glad for the support or ideas on this forum! The best I have found!

I think we're missing some essential information. Since this has happened to a couple of your hens it is likely a management, not a genetic issue. There's no sign at all of pecking and yet the vent is bloody? Can you tell where the blood is coming from? Is there a tear in the flesh at the vent? Do you think there's a tear inside the hen? Have the hens been normally active right up to laying? I agree with Mac that you might have a problem with overweight birds. Corn and scratch are absolutely unnecessary to feed - it's like candy, and hens will get fat and won't have the right balance of protein and minerals. Fat hens have many reproductive issues. I'm sure this can be figured out!

I had this happen to over half my flock last year, and now I have an entire new batch, and it's started with these girls now as well. I've already lost around 10 of my 400. I find 1 or 2 hens dead everyday. NO pecking, just an overly stretched vent, that is bloody and sometimes, but not always, prolapsed.

My hens are NOT overweight. They are also only on layer pellets. Why do you say it might be a calcium deficiency? I've never read about that, but what would I give as a calcium supplement?

TIA

I had this happen to over half my flock last year, and now I have an entire new batch, and it's started with these girls now as well. I've already lost around 10 of my 400. I find 1 or 2 hens dead everyday. NO pecking, just an overly stretched vent, that is bloody and sometimes, but not always, prolapsed.
My hens are NOT overweight. They are also only on layer pellets. Why do you say it might be a calcium deficiency? I've never read about that, but what would I give as a calcium supplement?
TIA

im not sure of your predicumant but calcium supliment can be given in a grit box using oyster shell grit

Back
Top Bottom