chickens dying!! ahhhh!!

You mentioned that the chickens like to hang out under the truck. Is it possible that they might have consumed some radiator coolant that leaked onto the ground?

Quote:
As Far as I know that truck does not leak - it hasn't been used in the last two years & is parked there. It really could be anything!

they are def going to be contained so that I can monitor them.

I never realized how attached I was to them.....

I know what you mean, and you're doing the right thing by trying to get as much info. as possible. When you get them quarantined, watch their poo closely. In my Chicken Health Handbook, I believe there is a chart on poo issues - it might lead you in the right direction. GOOD LUCK - yep, these feathered family members sure do get in our hearts!

Have you noticed a bunch of flies? Botulism stuck out in my head when you mentioned their heads on the ground, but do thier necks seem to be limp?

Quote:
i have noticed an increase in flies...been putting out fly stips & fly bag things. I'm going to clean the coop thouroughly, then contain the birds. Scour my property for anything dead ( I have cats, so ya never know whats out there) and keep the birds contained to monitor them

'Botulism in Animals
Preformed toxins in a variety of sources, including decaying vegetable matter (grass,
hay, grain, spoiled silage) and carcasses can cause botulism in animals.'

this kinda freaks me out cuz the chickens were notorious for scratching throught the compost pile even though it's somewhat contained - they'd still jump in there & root around. I have since moved the pile ( about 2 weeks ago). But they could be jumping the small fence that the compost pile is inside of.

Last edited:
after reading up on botulism - i think that might be it - Particularly this article.
https://transact.nt.gov.au/ebiz/dbi...F6A69256EFE004F670B/$file/792.pdf?OpenElement

Now i'm a bit worried about my health and the other animals' health. Is it communicable?

I'm kinda upset a bit - I thought that free ranging my chickens would be good for them, not get them into trouble
sad.png

I'll update everyone soon.

I think freeranging is, for the most part, quite safe.

I don't know as you'll figure much out until you get them separated and can observe them more closely. Try not to panic...you don't know much of anything yet! Hang in there!!

got everyone into the chicken tractor - except for two - darn BB reds lol - they're wild little ones. they have food water and a nesting box. no place to roost yet. i'll have to get that figured out later. just wanted to get them contained. I sprayed down the ground in the tractor to cool it off ( it's completely covered. Covered the west side of the tractor - everywhere else is open for air flow. Set up a fan to help keep them cool.

everyone looks good. no one is acting funny right now.

Back
Top Bottom