Chickens dying, at a loss

Ausydco

In the Brooder
Apr 9, 2021
Hello,

New member. First time posting. I have, now, 10 hens who have a large coop and large run to range in. I’ve lost four chickens and two more are sick now and I’m not sure what the cause is.
They seem to start with a bit of diarrhea, which causes their bottoms to be messy and vent feathers to lay down a bit. (This is what I notice first). They will stop laying, too. This goes on for a bit and they seem normal, eating, drinking, foraging. It seems to be a slow progression, but they eventually become lethargic and weak, and just sit around. Then stop eating and drinking, and seem to be sleeping in the yard. If they get bumped by another chicken, sometimes they fall over. Then I’ll find them dead one morning. When the last couple were sick, I tried Corid in the water. Unfortunately I don’t remember the dose, but I followed another poster on here. There was no change. I also tried apple cider vinegar and probiotics in the water with the last one. Even tried some antibiotics (oxytetracycline), but I think she was too far gone to help. Whatever this is has gotten my older birds, approximately three years old, and my younger ones, barely a year old. I just noticed two more starting with these symptoms today and don’t know what to do. I have new chicks coming next week. Sorry for the long post. Was trying to give details and would appreciate any advice! I’m tired of loosing chickens!

Is it possible to separate your chickens? Keep the healthy ones away from the ones that appear ill? Do you have a vet you can take one of your chickens to see if there is a way to identify what is going on. You say you have new chickens coming? You must isolate them from your current flock as it sounds like whatever is ailing them is highly contagious.

The older bird we adopted when they were almost a year old and I don’t know anything except where they were purchased as chicks. I’m assuming they were vaccinated since I got my young chicks from the same place last year and they were. They had been eating a layer feed form tractor supply. I have started switching to a flock raiser with the chicks coming. They also get scraps from the garden or kitchen.
I have not had a fecal test. I don’t see worms, but I know they aren’t always visible. I haven’t found where I can get a test done. (Don’t know much about where to look)

Is it possible to separate your chickens? Keep the healthy ones away from the ones that appear ill? Do you have a vet you can take one of your chickens to see if there is a way to identify what is going on. You say you have new chickens coming? You must isolate them from your current flock as it sounds like whatever is ailing them is highly contagious.
I was setting up a pen for the chicks today and was thinking I should use it for the sick birds. It’s basically a pen inside their run but they wouldn’t have contact except through the wire.
I don’t know what I’ll do with the chicks now, though.
I lost another last year similarly and consulted my regular vet. They don’t do much with chickens and it is very costly. I don’t know another vet in the area that does chickens. I contacted the place I bought them as they are usually knowledgeable, but didn’t offer much. Said the corid was useless unless I see worms. 🤷‍♀️

Corrid is not used to treat worms, it is used to treat Coccidiosis.
I would give your flock a preventative flush of Corrid water just in case it is cocci.
That’s what I thought and asked about.

Should we eat the eggs while giving Corrid? Keep reading conflicting answers.

Back
Top Bottom