chickens dying of thirst?

Chickens seem to prefer going after whatever is "new" in their environment. I like to feed my birds black oil sunflower seeds in winter because the seeds are high in fat and help keep the birds' caloric intake up. But my birds wont touch the seeds if I fill a feeder with them. However, if I scatter a few scoops of the seeds across their run the birds go after the seeds with gusto and then seem to want more. So the spilled water is something new and therefore attractive to your birds.

It's novelty water. It's not that they're thirsty, they just like that it's something different. When I let mine out after a rainstorm, they will drink from every little puddle, no matter how gross. They'll get so nuts about it sometimes (like when the water is running across the driveway... that really gets them going!) they'll drink until they throw up. And then they go do something else.

I appreciate all the helpful comments and quick replies. Y'all have really helped put my mind at ease. I've lived here in the deep south my entire life and you would think I'd know a thing or two about chickens, but I don't. This is such a nice place to come and to learn from others. Thank you all so much.

I put a few of those little glass pebbles in the resorvoir for the newbies. They peck and it and realize it is water.
tongue.png

I have 2 stainless steel dog water dish on each side of the run filled with the clear decorative marbles on the bottom so if they go in they can stand in the bowl ( always happens ) by the way and I have this
102768_1320426031189.jpg

Everyone is right! They are just wacky chickens. My chickens do the same thing. In the summer, I have the waterer in their coop filled up every day, as well as a few dishes of ice water in the shady areas just to help keep them cool, but whenever I dump water out, or have the hose on for some reason, they go nuts for it. Silly chickens!

Just an extra thought. Maybe the two gallon waterer you have is more suited to chicks and with an open bucket or crock or larger waterer they would have more room. I do agree, they just love the chase of anything moving, and like the drink the moving water. On YouTube, there are lots of FREE waterers you can easily make. I sure wouldn't buy an expensive one and with only two birds a good sized dog bowl would work, just set it up off the floor of the coop to help keep it clean. You will need to clean and fill it each day, unless it is an automatic bowl. I water my adult birds with a gallon sized horse feed bucket hung on a chain in the coop during the winter. It is small enough they won't get in and drown, I put a concrete block beside it, so they can hop up there and drink without perching on the edge. It stays clean, about 2 inches off the ground and LF chicken-head height. My bantams just jump on the block and drink. I do have one with the nipples in the bottom of the gallon bucket for the silkies. They are special.

Quote:
I probably didn't make myself clear. They are drinking the dirty water that I just dumped out of the tray.

mine do this too. They like dirt water I suppose. I just figured it was a chicken thing
smile.png
Don't think it will hurt them.

Back
Top Bottom