Chickens dying this winter

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sheeshshe, Jan 23, 2014.

1. sheeshshe

sheeshshe Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2009
    I've lost a few chickens this winter and I'm not sure why. I haven't had a problem with chickens dying in the winter before. But, the weather has been very odd this year and I wonder if it has anything to do with it. we will get sub zero temps for a week, and then the next week it will jump to in the 40's. then it will jump to the 20's, then sometimes back to 40's, then back to sub zero... etc. the pattern just keeps jumping around like this all winter long thus far. Do you think this could be the cause of having some die off? Or do you think they have some kind of disease? I just put more shavings out last night in hopes that that will help.

2. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    I don't know,what are the symptoms of dead/dying birds?

3. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    Did you notice any symptoms before they died? Symptoms are very important in discovering what they died from. Without more information from you as to what exactly has been happening it's impossible to say weather or not they have a illness or disease. Please post what you noticed in the lines of symptoms so we can help. Thank you.

4. sheeshshe

sheeshshe Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2009
    I really have no idea. I don't see them much because it is winter and it is cold and I don't hang out with them in the winter. And they don't come out much out of the coop either.

But, is it possible that they could be dying from fluctuating temps like that? is that something that happens?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by