Chickens dying

somc74

Hatching
Nov 21, 2015
I put 39 hens in with my older flock 8 weeks ago. They are now about 4 months old. Nothing has changed in the coop but all of a sudden over last 3 days they have started dying. 2 Monday 4 Tuesday and 2 today, all were my young hens. It's not something like predator and can't see any physical damage. Only change is its rained for 5 or 6 days. Co-op is dry and I also have heat lamps inside. It's all closed off with just a small door that is closed at night. It's been cooler but not extreme here in tennessee, I have two big hanging feeders in different areas and plenty of water. I have 12 ducks, 3 grown boosters and 9 older hens in with them, chicken yard is very big so they have plenty of room. Any ideas would be appreciated
Chris

You've closed off all ventilation. I bet that is the main problem. You are heating a moist space with no fresh air with feces and organic matter. That is the perfect incubator for pathogens.

So that was 63 birds in total and what is the sq. ft. of floor space in that closed off space?

8 birds dying in that short period of time, you need a necropsy quickly.
Here's your labs in TN.

Kord Animal Disease Diagnostic Laboratory
TN Dept of Agriculture
436 Hogan Road
Nashville, Tennessee 37220
Phone: 615-837-5294 Fax 615-837-5250

There is no way of knowing what it is until you get lab work so you know the correct course of action or even if there is a cure. There are about 15 different things that can cause quick deaths.

For the time being. Cut some big windows in that building for proper ventilation. Lose the heat lamps. Cold isn't your enemy. Bad air is.

The co-op is two floors, top is 10 x 10 and bottom is 10 x 24. It has ventilation vents in the top and inside the roots there are vents. I've turned off the heat lamp and will call tomorrow

Since they are so young, coccidiosis may also be the problem. It wouldn't hurt to try some Corid in their water.

Now they only sleep in this space. They aren't out at Sun up and once they go into coop in afternoon it's closed. They have a big yard with a large covered area

Since they are so young, coccidiosis may also be the problem. It wouldn't hurt to try some Corid in their water.
If they are out all day, that may not be the issue. It couldn't hurt but I don't think Coccidia would cause sudden death in so many birds without other symptoms unless one isn't observant of those symptoms.

Now they only sleep in this space. They aren't out at Sun up and once they go into coop in afternoon it's closed. They have a big yard with a large covered area

The problem isn't during the day but when they are confined at night without sufficient ventilation.

They evolved as outdoor animals with constant fresh air. They don't do well living in a box. They have very small respiratory symptoms and any compromise in fresh air can be deadly.
Sorry for being blunt.

Last edited:
I got 1 of my dead hens sent off but today I noticed something, blood in their poop. It's been raining so much you couldn't see it before. I've been looking but today saw a couple of piles. I rushed to feed store and got some sulmit I think it's called. I've got some corrid as well. I put the sulmit in the the water with some wormer. I put the 5 gallon waterer in the coop and will keep them in until it's gone then refill it. Coccidiosis maybe???

Seems I got this slowed down. Didn't lose any today and not seeing the blood inside. I've read a ton of info on here and conditions were right for outbreak of cocci.

Should I try to use some sort of disinfectant?

We opened a 2 x 4 foot opening for ventilation and not using the heat lamps...

Would it be better to use a chicken tractor for my next batch of chicks so they won't be exposed to the chicken yard till they are much older

Back
Top Bottom