Chickens dying

JeremyKSullivan

Songster
8 Years
Feb 27, 2013
Alabama
I was given 6 chickens from one of my buddies. 2 bantam hens and a rooster. 2 silver laced Wyandotte’s. 2 bantam hens and 1 silver died. I bought a rooster and 2 hens that are barred rocks from someone else. I have the bantam rooster away. Today, my wife text me and said the rooster was dead. They have access to clean water and food at all times. They are safe from predators. They have never acted injured or sick. Fine one day, dead the next. I have them on centipede grass in an area that was farmland about 6 years ago. I would think that’s long enough for any pesticide to be gone. Any idea why they would just be dropping dead?

Could there be mold in the feed from getting wet? Are there any symptoms seen before they die? Any signs of an injury? How old are the chickens? Your state vet could do a necropsy (autopsy) on one or two of the bodies if you can keep them cold in a cooler, and take them in on Monday. Sorry for your loss.

Sorry for your loss. Here are a few guesses:
  • Coccidiosis. This is caused by a parasite which invades the gut and causes symptoms such as blood in the faeces (although not always), and is one of the most common killers of young birds. ...
  • Infectious Bronchitis. ...
  • Mycoplasma. ...
  • Infectious coryza. ...
  • Fowl pox. ...
  • Fowl cholera. ...
  • Necrotic enteritis. ...
  • Erysipelas.

No, I didn’t isolate any of them. Don’t really have any way to do that. Shouldn’t be a mold issue. I keep the feed bag sealed in my garage. I clean their food container fairly regularly. The only symptom I’ve seen is one of my hens made a squeaking sound every few minutes for about 3 days up until she died.

Could there be mold in the feed from getting wet? Are there any symptoms seen before they die? Any signs of an injury? How old are the chickens? Your state vet could do a necropsy (autopsy) on one or two of the bodies if you can keep them cold in a cooler, and take them in on Monday. Sorry for your loss.

Sorry for your loss. Here are a few guesses:
  • Coccidiosis. This is caused by a parasite which invades the gut and causes symptoms such as blood in the faeces (although not always), and is one of the most common killers of young birds. ...
  • Infectious Bronchitis. ...
  • Mycoplasma. ...
  • Infectious coryza. ...
  • Fowl pox. ...
  • Fowl cholera. ...
  • Necrotic enteritis. ...
  • Erysipelas.

How would I know which one and what should I do about it?

A veterinarian can help you in this situation. The vet can send samples off to determine exactly why your birds are dying. A fecal floatation is also a good start to determine if your birds have intestinal parasites.

So you had chickens and were given more chickens. Did you keep them separate for a time in quarentine?
Some flocks can be immune to a disease but still carriers.
How old were these chickens?
What are you feeding?
What is there coop and run like?
A weasel can fit through a one inch gap or hole and sometimes kills leaving only wetness around the neck area.

So you had chickens and were given more chickens. Did you keep them separate for a time in quarentine?
Some flocks can be immune to a disease but still carriers.
How old were these chickens?
What are you feeding?
What is there coop and run like?
A weasel can fit through a one inch gap or hole and sometimes kills leaving only wetness around the neck area.

I had no chickens and was given the first few. They were dropping dead. Then I got the second batch and haven’t even had them a month before the first has died. I’m feeding dumor laying mesh. We don’t have weasels.

Sudden deaths? Farmland soil can contain blue granules which are a fast acting anticoagulant poison against rodents like ground squirrels. Another soilborn toxin could be lead from bullets. And a hidden toxin could be Aspergillus mold. Autopsy service by the state vet will help rule those out, and better inform you whether the land is safe for free ranging.

Back
Top Bottom