Chickens dyng every day now - where to send in GA for necropsy?

ShellP, did you ever find a lab to do a necropasy in Georgia? What happened to your flock? I have lost 2 birds so far - they stop eating & die within a day or so, no other symptoms. I have been calling around but only get the same answer you did - bring us a live bird to kill & test. That is sort of counteractive to what I am trying to do here! I want to keep the rest alive!
There are three labs listed in this link:
http://www.aphis.usda.gov/animal_health/nahln/downloads/all_nahln_lab_list.pdf

-Kathy

ShellP, did you ever find a lab to do a necropasy in Georgia? What happened to your flock? I have lost 2 birds so far - they stop eating & die within a day or so, no other symptoms. I have been calling around but only get the same answer you did - bring us a live bird to kill & test. That is sort of counteractive to what I am trying to do here! I want to keep the rest alive!
NO symptoms? How old are birds,have you introduced any new flock members? First guess with sudden deaths that result in day or two is coccidiosis. Cocci is a parasitic infection of the intestinal tract,cocci can kill very fast,but is easily controlled with medication. I would treat for cocci,see if they improve.

With all due respect this type of thing is exactly why I rarely respond to calls for help.

ShellP's last post was over a year ago but they did not follow through to let anyone that responded know what the problem was. This to me is very rude and inconsiderate.

Regardless of whether it was something they were causing or whether it is just life they should have let folks know.

Lots of useful info in this thread, IMNSHO.

-Kathy

+1

Dr. Bohanan was more than willing to speak with us over the phone and was extremely helpful and informative so anyone in GA ought to keep his name, as long as he's still State Vet.

Tim, I often wonder what happens when folks are so desperate for help, then they seem to disappear from their own threads. Hard to say, but the information found in them is often good, as Kathy said.

Last edited:
+1

Dr. Bohanan was more than willing to speak with us over the phone and was extremely helpful and informative so anyone in GA ought to keep his name, as long as he's still State Vet.

Tim, I often wonder what happens when folks are so desperate for help, then they seem to disappear from their own threads. Hard to say, but the information found in them is often good, as Kathy said.
Be that as it may, more times than not the original poster drops from sight and is never heard from again. It would have been nice to know what exactly was wrong with their chickens. This has happened before.

In one case I even sent the poster a box full of meds. and vitamins. Never heard from them again. Not even in a PM!

I not so humbly disagree!

Kathy, I called those labs. Same answer from everyone - Bring them a live chicken to cull & test. They gave me the number to vet that is supposed to cover my area so he could come out here. He never returned my calls. I will try again on Monday. Also, per your advice, I have been trying to learn more about tube feeding. I asked my vet & his only advise was to check with a dentist about getting the tube. I dunno. I will keep working at it so I can be more prepared if another gets sick.
All my chickens are fine as far as I can tell. I fed medicated starter for several months. Went off. Gave a 7 day round of corid. Put back on starter for another couple of months. Now on layer crumbles & free ranging all day plus kitchen scraps (usually breads or eggs or veggies). Poop is very health, not runny or dark or red at all. We have a poop hammock under their roost boards so the run floor stays clean. I use diatomaceous earth, put apple cider vinegar in the water.

I worry what they may have eaten since they do free range. But my yard is full of wild birds, so they could have easily been exposed to a virus or such.

Fingers crossed.

Quote: Disagree with what? That information found in these abandoned threads is sometimes good? That's all I said. I didn't say it wasn't rude or wasn't a mystery that they disappear. You are finding a problem in what I said when I didn't even disagree with you. Good grief. Maybe you ought to re-read what I wrote, Tim.

I said, and I quote myself from above:

Quote: If you disagree with that statement, you're picking a fight again. Should have learned my lesson not to engage you.
hmm.png

Last edited:
Disagree with what? That information found in these abandoned threads is sometimes good? That's all I said. I didn't say it wasn't rude or wasn't a mystery that they disappear. You are finding a problem in what I said when I didn't even disagree with you. Good grief. Maybe you ought to re-read what I wrote, Tim.

I said, and I quote myself from above:

If you disagree with that statement, you're picking a fight again. Should have learned my lesson not to engage you.
hmm.png

I'm certainly not picking a fight. My comment was just concerning those who ask for help but don't let us know what happened. Of course the information is good, but it would be nice to know if any of it helped is all.

You are right and I am wrong. I'm sorry. I misunderstood.

Back
Top Bottom