Chickens ears bleeding

S Trebley

Hatching
Nov 21, 2017
Hi, new to all of this.
I have 2 hens (not sure of breeds) not ISA browns, I was told the smaller lighter coloured one was a leghorn? Picture attached, all chicks are the smaller hens (mother) but the other hen (surrogate) was sitting on the eggs to start with, they started hatching 14/11/17 the first 3 chicks are doing really well, surrogate looking after first 3. Noticed the 4th one is bleeding from ears, one ear seems to have quite a descent hole at it, now I have a 5th chick hatched today and again bleeding from ears this one not as bad. Mother is good with all of them, I have seen the surrogate peck at the 2 newest ones, also surrogate attacks mother when she stops sitting on eggs but fine when sitting. I know I should prob separate them (leaving 3 chicks with surrogate and other 2 with the rest to hatch with mother, but just not practical with the coop I have etc and I don’t have too much time/equipment to remove bleeding chicks and look after them, I feel they are more likely to die if I do that. Any advice, do you think they could be ok to leave all together?

Attachments

• D33D9669-3D7A-4320-8793-E1FF772F43AD.jpeg
    D33D9669-3D7A-4320-8793-E1FF772F43AD.jpeg
    557.4 KB · Views: 26
Thank you, I will have to sort something out, for how long should they be separated? When can they all go back in together?

It's a really bad idea to let 2 hens hatch together. They become confused as to who's chicks they are and they can attack and peck chicks to death. I would separate out one hen, and leave one with the chicks before you end up with dead chicks.
you

Thank you, I will have to sort something out, for how long should they be separated? When can they all go back in together?

you
Hmm... I'd guess six or seven weeks, when the chicks aren't as dependent on their hens. Don't quote me on that though, that's just an estimate.
Also be very careful when putting them back together. If you can at least make it possible that they can see each other so they won't get violent when reuniting.

Thank you

Hmm... I'd guess six or seven weeks, when the chicks aren't as dependent on their hens. Don't quote me on that though, that's just an estimate.
Also be very careful when putting them back together. If you can at least make it possible that they can see each other so they won't get violent when reuniting.
k you

you
I keep my separated but in the coop for about 1-2 weeks so everyone can see them until the chicks get stronger, than I start letting them out to see how they handle themselves and if there's any problems. They go back in the fence whenever I can't keep an eye on them or if things are too rough. I leave them out with the flock when I feel comfortable doing so. Every time is different depending on the flock dynamics.

I never have issues..I put Momma and Chicks back with the flock when Chicks are 3 to 5 days old..Momma will protect them..Not many Chickens mess with a Broody and her Chicks..get that other Hen out of that situation...Don't wait till the Chicks are too big to integrate because As they Mature Momma won't protect them..
Best wishes...

Back
Top Bottom