Chickens eating bedding

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Hens rule, Dec 29, 2016.

1. Hens rule

Hens rule Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2015
    USA
    Some eggs broke in my coop and I removed the bedding and put it in a small bucket outside. I forgot to move it this morning and so some of my chickens found it and were eating the egg shells and small pieces of bedding which had the egg broken on them. When I came out to stop them one of my hens had egg shell sticking out of her beek so I pulled it out. Is there a risk of impacted crop? How do I get my chickens to stop breaking eggs to eat? Thanks!

2. Flock Master64

Flock Master64 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2016
    Surrounded by the Amish
    To get them to stop eating eggs you have to collect them before they break them. You'll have to check the coop multiple times a day.

I'm not sure about your impacted crop question.

3. MasterOfClucker

MasterOfClucker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    They wont get impacted crop i give my chickens raw eggs all the time but i whisk them up.

Put some golf balls in there.

4. Hens rule

Jan 28, 2015
    USA
    Thanks everyone. My chickens crops did empty over night. :cd

5. MasterOfClucker

MasterOfClucker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    Yep.If anything it probably made everything go down soother.

Happy new years!

6. jcoz

jcoz Out Of The Brooder

Oct 26, 2016
    Erie, Pennsylvania
    My girls will sometimes drop an egg off of the roost, and they eat it. It hits the floor and no longer resembles an egg. I've never had a problem with them pecking at eggs in the laying boxes. As long as they are getting enough grit, either from pecking at rocks and such or from supplemental grit that you give them, the shells should/will get ground down naturally. Chicks are hardy little critters.

7. Hens rule

Jan 28, 2015
    USA
    Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by