Chickens eating dog poooop

andreasowell

Hatching
7 Years
Apr 12, 2012
Hey there...if my chickens are eating my dogs poop, does that mean that I am eating dog poop? Any advice appreciated because suddenly these eggs aren't tasting as good. Not sure if it's because it's all in my mind...thanks!

YUCK. I have the opposite problem- my Pugs love to eat the chicken poop! LOL. Can you just make sure to pick up the doggie poop so the chickens don't eat it?

My chickens loooove dog and cat poop. Personally before I let them out I comb the yard for anything poop related. We live in the city and there are stray cats everywhere bring all sorts of things in the yard. Since I don't know specifics of the harm it will do if they eat it, I still think it's gross. Some of the feces I pick up look just terrible, like the animal that left it was sick, or something that turned it a different color. Some look infected (the feces I mean). I have read feeding horse manure to chickens for probiotic purposes for chickens but dog and cat poop, I just can't wrap my mind around it.

I would not eat them. Can't be good for you or the birds.
sickbyc.gif

I also have the opposite problem. I have to tie up my dog when I let my chickens free-range. When I put them back in the coop, my dumb dog goes immediately and starts licking up chicken poop! Disgusting, and especially frustrating since you would think the dog is starving to death...but NO, its food bowl is full of perfectly good dog food !!!

Last edited:
Seems to me, unless you also have problems with eating bugs, dirt, and decaying lawn matter, then this really isnt an issue. THis is the whole point of free range. Otherwise, pen them up and feed them what you want (and try not to think about the stray bug that flies into the coop or the fact that the egg itself that your eating slid out of it's duel purpose poop/pee hole). But that's just me.

Back
Top Bottom