Chickens Eating Eggs??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by c0dywhite, Mar 10, 2013.

1. c0dywhite

c0dywhite Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2012
    Organ Cave, WV
    I have been noticing that some of the eggs in the nest box have been eaten. I was wondering if it was a chicken, what does that mean? Is there a way to stop this? What can I do?
    Thanks for any info!

2. brahmabreeder

brahmabreeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Supposedly fake eggs in the nest boxes helps cure this. Do a search on her and I'm sure you will find tons on this.

3. who doesnt like to eat eggs?[​IMG] yeah i think you put fake eggs in the box,so when they go to break them to eat they get frustrated[​IMG][​IMG]and give up

4. 3 NH reds

3 NH reds Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2011
    Western Mass
    Egg eating is often from eggs getting cracked. If you provide them with a nice soft materrial in a nesting box that is out of the main traffic area thats a good start. Next make sure they have some oyster shell on the side so the shells are thick. If it still happens you need to get eggs out as often ans possible.

5. c0dywhite

c0dywhite Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2012
    Organ Cave, WV
    Okay, thanks for the info!
    I'm about to go see how many I get & if any are broke.

6. 3 NH reds

3 NH reds Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2011
    Western Mass
    I Had an egg eater today so I drilled a hole in an egg used a food injector to suck the egg out and filled it with hot sauce and unscented detergent and sealed it with candle wax. Thats gonna taste great[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by