Chickens eating loose feathers

Kinzer

Chirping
May 21, 2021
Northern Utah
We’ve got 10 chickens ranging in age from 6 to 8 weeks. They don’t really peck at each other and we haven’t noticed any bare spots. Occasionally there is a loose feather and the chickens will usually pick it up and fight over it for a bit, it seems like just for fun. Recently we’ve noticed two instances of the cickens eating the whole feather, I believe it was two different chickens in each instance. We feed them the Purina Start and Grow Medicated which has 18 percent protein, so it doesn’t seem like it should be lack of protein like most would suggest. So is it okay for them to eat a whole feather? Will it digest okay? Is this bad behavior that I should somehow stop? I can’t really watch them all day and pull out every loose feather. Thoughts?

It's a phase they go through, totally normal for chicks. They are able to glean some protein from it, which they need as they molt several times growing up. 18-20% protein should meet their needs, but you could always offer a little cooked egg (boiled or scrambled) as a treat on the side, if you felt it was warranted.

We’ve got 10 chickens ranging in age from 6 to 8 weeks. They don’t really peck at each other and we haven’t noticed any bare spots. Occasionally there is a loose feather and the chickens will usually pick it up and fight over it for a bit, it seems like just for fun. Recently we’ve noticed two instances of the cickens eating the whole feather, I believe it was two different chickens in each instance. We feed them the Purina Start and Grow Medicated which has 18 percent protein, so it doesn’t seem like it should be lack of protein like most would suggest. So is it okay for them to eat a whole feather? Will it digest okay? Is this bad behavior that I should somehow stop? I can’t really watch them all day and pull out every loose feather. Thoughts?
Chickens do this for some reason I don’t even know why but it shouldn’t be anything to be concerned about. Especially when they are young they do this. They love to eat feathers on the floor too

As others say, entirely fine. Supplemental protein would be ok, but this seems to be normal behavior, even when I was feeding 20% protein to 8 weeks. I'd not be concerned unless one of your little feather babies starts eating them nonstop, then I'd be concerned for potential impacted crop, and WHY the bird is favoring feathers for its diet.

I have 5 weeks old chicks doing the same thing.
20210616_072229.jpg

I'm feeding the same feed. I wouldn't worry about it relating to what you said in your post if you are supplementing Chick Grit.
I mix Chick Grit into feed at 2 weeks old, at a ratio of 1 part Chick Grit to 40 parts of feed by weight. 2 ounces of Grit to 5 pounds of feed for 8 weeks.
I offer Adult size Poultry Grit separately at 7 weeks old. GC

Back
Top Bottom