Chickens eating rice hulls

TheSpiceGirls

Crowing
13 Years
Oct 6, 2010
Bay Area, CA
I have my hens split, two in one pen and two in another. They can see each other through the fence. I did this because one was pulling out the pin feathers on another who is molting hard. Well, no one was happy being separated. So I picked up a bag of rice hulls and dumped it in the run, both sides of the fence.

I wanted to give them something to scratch around in and distract them for a few more days till my hen's pin feathers open up and hopefully, they stop pulling on them.

Well, they are eating the rice hulls. I mean porking out on them. Their crops are REALLY full and now I'm freaking out that they are all going to die from an impacted crop.

They've got plenty of water to drink, grit, oyster shells and two big feeders full of feed. I just fed them all a bit of banana thinking it's soft and will hopefully help prevent impacted crop.

Should I be freaking out or just let nature take it's course and keep an eye on them?

Keep an eye on them but add some animal protein or give a higher protein feed like a starter/grower.
If they're eating feathers, that's often an indication they're craving protein.

Keep an eye on them but add some animal protein or give a higher protein feed like a starter/grower.
If they're eating feathers, that's often an indication they're craving protein.

Thank you so much for responding. I was a mess last night. Their crops were all so jammed full.

But this morning, everyone had an empty crop. They came out of the coop, ate a few pellets and set about foraging in the rice hulls again. I think they are just different and fun. But I feel like the newness is wearing off.

I'm a little less freaked out today. I'll make sure they get a protein treat tonight before bed.

Back
Top Bottom