Chickens eating there eggs!!!

chickanddoglvr

In the Brooder
9 Years
Oct 7, 2010
Cincinnati Oh
I thought that they just stopped laying for some reason and then i sall them eat a couple eggs!!! I have no idea what to do. They are laying eggs regularly but they just eat them. 4 golden comets. Anything
thanks

Be sure to provide one nest for every four chickens. Overcrowding sometimes causes egg eating. Find the egg eater as she will get the other hens to join in with her. Collect eggs more frequently. Here is one way to break their habit... scramble one egg till foamy... add 2 tsps of black pepper and pour it on the coop floor near where the egg eating is going on. Take the two shell halves of the egg you scrambled and set them close together to resemble a whole egg in the middle. The egg eaters will be surprised by the horrible taste and come to associate eggs with that taste. I hope this works for you, I know farmers who said it worked great.

If you blow an egg, drain the yolk and whites, you can then put a very strong mustard in there. Once the chickens get that mustard... they won't even want to LOOK at an egg!

I suspect that the only thing that will work at this stage is building them a rollaway nest. You can try golf balls, an egg blown out and filled with mustard, and such.

only 1 sure fire cure for egg eating hens...............................dumplings, and about 5 hours on your crock pots low setting.
but seriouly, once a hen gets a taste for eggs, there isnt much you caN DO.
sad.png
SORRY

I read somewhere (can't remember where) one thing that worked was to blow out an egg and fill it will something mixed with "apple bitter," found in the equine section. I have not personally tried this, as I have not yet experienced egg eating.

Chickens taste buds (or whatever they have) are different than humans (of course) .... they do not taste "hot," like mustard, chili pepper, etc. None of that stuff works, because they will still eat it.

Back
Top Bottom