Chickens Experienced First Rain in their Lives!

Peppercorngal

Crowing
6 Years
Feb 5, 2018
Feather Falls, CA
We had our first rain in 220 days here today. My chickens had never experienced rain before. They didn't quite know what to do! It was funny to watch. When would pour down and they would run for the covered section of their run. Then, when it would lighten up, they would all come out and free range again. Another downpour and they would run, run, run! Very entertaining these animals. One of my Easter Eggers stayed in the coop most of the day, she didn't like the wet at all! What did your chickens do the first time they experienced rain?

Ours seemed ok with it, I didn’t notice anything unusual. Now, at 37 weeks, I’ve caught tjem hanging out in the rain, perched out in the rain, foraging in the rain. They do have a covered protected area besides the coop, so they play in the rain by choice!

Hopefully your chicks will decide to tolerate the rain, however short lived it is!

Glad they knew how to 'come in out of the rain'! :D
Some of mine like it, others don't at all....and others are in between.

I'll never forget the first time mine got good and soaked(looking)..it was chilly and I was a bit worried, they looked like the proverbial 'drowned rats' on the roost, but I stuck my hand under the feathers and next to their skin they were dry and toasty...never worried about it again.

Mine all seem okay with it.
When it started coming down more they would go over to the covered area but most of them didn’t want to go in the coop itself unless to lay.
The interesting thing will be when it snows.
Only one of my current flock has ever experienced snow.
She’ll venture out in it too.
I wonder if the others will follow?

My girls are 22 weeks old. They were so funny at first snowfall and take rain as it falls. Heavy rain sends them under cover. They may be young but experienced - love them to bits.

All 4 of mine were foraging in it just fine until it started to rain more seriously. Then they all crammed together under a bench by our tree. They have a covered run, but I guess they didn't want to run back across the yard in the deluge.

It's a fuzzy pic, but you can just make out their fluffy bums...
20181121_100447.jpg

Back
Top Bottom