Chickens eyes swelling... Have pics. Please please help!

If you decide to medicate with antibiotics, and use Tylan 50, get some 3 ml syringes with 18 or 20 gauge needles to get it out of the vial. Take the needle off before giving it by mouth a drop at a time. Dosage is 0.25 or 1/4 ml per pound of weight 3 times a day for 3-5 days. I still wonder about it being coryza, so I would also try to get sulfa drug smz tmp here:
https://www.medi-vet.com/Bird-Sulfa-Sulfamethoxazole-Trimethoprim-480mg-p/19328.htm

It looks like the nostril may be plugged with drainage. Is there a bad odor around the head? What do you see inside the eye? This looks like a bacterial sinus infection. It could be coryza, MG, or even E.coli. I would separate her from your other chickens, since she is contagious. Do you have any antibiotics or do you plan on treating? There is probably pus in the eye, and it needs to come out. It can be squeezed out, but sometimes it has to be cut out. If there is a bad odor, I would try to get sulfa antibiotic, such as bactrim or SMZ-TMP. If no odor, then you might try Tylan50 injectable from a feed store, and use it orally. Clean the eye with saline and try some antibiotic ointment such as Terramycin twice a day. Clean out the nostrils so he can breathe. If you can see a vet, that would be best.
How do you Clean out her nasal

I would start cleaning with water or saline and a tissue. If it is really plugged, you can take a QTip with a drop of hydrogen peroxide and wet the nostril. Give it a couple of minutes to soften. Then take a shed feather shaft or a toothpick and gently clean out any dried secretions or food. Food can turn nasal secretions into almost a concrete substance, and they cannot get enough air.

I would start cleaning with water or saline and a tissue. If it is really plugged, you can take a QTip with a drop of hydrogen peroxide and wet the nostril. Give it a couple of minutes to soften. Then take a shed feather shaft or a toothpick and gently clean out any dried secretions or food. Food can turn nasal secretions into almost a concrete substance, and they cannot get enough air.
This morning I took the chicken and like said I squeezed around all the swelling and little bit of stuff was coming out and I pulled open eye and I can’t see her eye or anything I have some tobramycin eye drops and some terramycin ointment I have her by herself what else do I need to help her

Tea want to thank you for your help with the chicken and let you know swelling of eye has gone down so much but still cleaning it and stuff. Thank you

Besides the eye drops, I would also use the
Tylan 50. Many feed stores carry it in the cattle section of medicines. Dosage is in post 12.

How much does she weigh? Tylan can be given 0.25 ml or 1/4 ml per pound. 3/4 ml would treat a 3 pound chicken. Remove the needle to give it. It can be given in higher doses as well in severe infections. Give it 3 to 4 times a day if you can manage for 3-5 days.

Back
Top Bottom