Chickens fighting

mlfairbanks

In the Brooder
Jul 23, 2015
I have four chickens that are about 1 year old. They have always gotten along great and never fought. They have freedom, space, lots of different kinds of foods.

Today for the first time one of them attacked another. Every time they are together she attacks. I have separated the fighter from the group. She is super upset. She can see her sisters but is in a different coop alone.

She was very upset so i put her back with her sisters and she immediately attacked the other chicken again.

Not sure what to do. Should i leave her by herself? put just one chicken with her?

Please help.

I have not had to deal with bully issues, but from what I have read, it's best to separate the bully for a few days. Yes, she'll be upset for a bit, but she'll get over it. Sometimes we need to think about the good of the flock, not just one bird's happiness. If she doesn't straighten out, you may need to do some thinking about whether or not you want to keep her.

Whenever I have a hen who becomes a bully, I separate her for several days. Long enough for her to lose her place in the pecking order. She gets upset? Tough
1f44c.png
. Let her be upset. Just be sure she is fed and has water. Let her cool her heels in jail for a while.

I need some help I have 4 production reds.they are 2 years old. They are all sisters. One of them is smaller than the rest. Today I went out to water and the the small one was on the fence. She has never been on the fence before. Then I put out food for them to leave her alone and they all jumped on top of her. I live in the city so I don't have a place to put her. What should I do please let me know I don't want them to hurt her

If you have one bully, separate her for a week or three, and then try to reintroduce her and see how it goes. If you have one hen being attacked, either figure out who is the most aggressive hen, or separate the victim, again, in site of the others, and see how it goes. Sick birds will be attacked often, and production reds tend to be nasty, IMO. I don't have them for that reason. You may need to rehome someone, or set up separate living quarters. Overcrowding will always cause more issues, so hopefully that's not the problem here. Mary

I live in the city and don't have a place to separate them. They all sleep in the same coop.
this her on the fence

Back
Top Bottom