Chickens fighting

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by mlfairbanks, Jul 15, 2016.

1. mlfairbanks

mlfairbanks Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2015
    I have four chickens that are about 1 year old. They have always gotten along great and never fought. They have freedom, space, lots of different kinds of foods.

Today for the first time one of them attacked another. Every time they are together she attacks. I have separated the fighter from the group. She is super upset. She can see her sisters but is in a different coop alone.

She was very upset so i put her back with her sisters and she immediately attacked the other chicken again.

Not sure what to do. Should i leave her by herself? put just one chicken with her?

Please help.

2. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    I have not had to deal with bully issues, but from what I have read, it's best to separate the bully for a few days. Yes, she'll be upset for a bit, but she'll get over it. Sometimes we need to think about the good of the flock, not just one bird's happiness. If she doesn't straighten out, you may need to do some thinking about whether or not you want to keep her.

3. Weehopper

Weehopper Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2015
    Whenever I have a hen who becomes a bully, I separate her for several days. Long enough for her to lose her place in the pecking order. She gets upset? Tough [​IMG]. Let her be upset. Just be sure she is fed and has water. Let her cool her heels in jail for a while.

4. song of joy

song of joy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2012
    Central Pennsylvania
    Could she be in the early stages of becoming broody? One of my hens really has an attitude when she's getting broody. She chases other hens that she normally gets along with.

5. keribr

keribr New Egg

May 2, 2014
    I need some help I have 4 production reds.they are 2 years old. They are all sisters. One of them is smaller than the rest. Today I went out to water and the the small one was on the fence. She has never been on the fence before. Then I put out food for them to leave her alone and they all jumped on top of her. I live in the city so I don't have a place to put her. What should I do please let me know I don't want them to hurt her

6. Folly's place

Folly's place Overrun With Chickens

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    If you have one bully, separate her for a week or three, and then try to reintroduce her and see how it goes. If you have one hen being attacked, either figure out who is the most aggressive hen, or separate the victim, again, in site of the others, and see how it goes. Sick birds will be attacked often, and production reds tend to be nasty, IMO. I don't have them for that reason. You may need to rehome someone, or set up separate living quarters. Overcrowding will always cause more issues, so hopefully that's not the problem here. Mary

7. keribr

keribr New Egg

May 2, 2014
    I live in the city and don't have a place to separate them. They all sleep in the same coop. [​IMG] this her on the fence

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by