chickens flying over my 4-5 ft. fence

new chick chick

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jul 23, 2011
I just put together a fence (for the chicken run) made of the plastic you often see at construction sights. First the hens went under it, so I bought tent pegs and so far that has worked. Then my feistiest hen flew up and over the fence. I think she landed on the top of it first, then jumped over. I had clipped her wings earlier this summer, but apparently it isn't working! So I clipped them again and will see what happens tomorrow. Any ideas?

Build a taller fence. I have 5 Australorps and 2 EE's that have no problem flying over my 4'4" fence. I added about 18 more inches and it seems to stop them sometimes. I have cattle panels for my first fence and I ran to the dollar store to buy the little wire fence sections that you use around your bedding plants (they sell it in 6 ft sections for $3 a piece.) That seems to help. In the areas I could not add the new fencing to I strung string back and forth.

Did you clip both wings? I was considering clipping these guys wings and I read that you should only clip one wing so they are off balance and unable to get flying.

If the area is small enough you could get some deer/bird netting to put over the top. That's what I've done with mine, keeps chickens in and hawks out! Just know that that won't stop most other predators, mine are locked in the coop at night.

Both of those are great ideas. Thanks for your input. I want to keep these gals safe! They have a secure coop at night but I'd like to be able to let them out without giving them free range of the whole yard. I do let them out in the yard daily for several hours to free range.

ours are 10 weeks and we had a 4.5 ft high fen for their run... low and behold, my daughter went out one time to check on them and one was sitting outside the run all confused and waiting to get back in. Next time hubby was out, the same one jumped the fence. Needless to say we added a second row and now the fence is 8-9 ft tall.... we're really hoping they can't figure out how to fly over that.... but with the way some of them fly it wouldn't surprise me...
lol.png

That plastic fencing is great for things like keeping chickens out of your garden but not suitable for a run. Pretty much any 4-legged critter will rip through it in no time at all.

I have a roof on my run for both keeping the chickens in and keeping the owls and hawks and the critters that can climb (like skunks and raccoons) out. Our cheapest and easiest option ended up being to buy a used dog kennel. It's a nice size (10x10) and very heavyweight fencing although the smaller stuff (like mink) could still get through the holes so I have to be sure and close the pop door at dusk.

I personally think it's best to put a top and cover the run. We used welded wire for the sides and the top. We are also currently putting a roof with shingles on the run to prevent the snow from falling in on top the wire. Nothing is getting in or out of our run.

Back
Top Bottom