Chicken's foot not working right......please help

A local place called blue star ranch. They sell 10 to 20 week old chickens. I found them on line and the website look good and they seemed well informed and knew what they were talking about so we went with them. So many told us it would cost more to start them from day old chicks so we decided to get them at 12 weeks old.

When we lost the first 4 I talked with a poultry dr from Texas A and M and he said from what I was telling him he thought avian pox. I thought mareks after the first 2 but he said it didn't sounds like that. The one we lost today was the first one we lost in almost more then a month. 3 days after we brought them home is when we notice the problems. The place has a 24 hour replacement policy and I learned after when I called that they don't offer advise unless you pay a $24.99 fee for every 30 mins of phone time.
Actually all customers get FREE telephone support.. the "phone fee" is for people that purchase chickens at other places and have problems. If you called me I a SURE I did not say I cannot advise you. This is not true. We also have a 48 hour health guarantee not 24 hour. I WISHED you would call me and talk rather than to post untrue things on public forms..

IF you did purchase chickens and MONTHS LATER they become ill..... I do not know any poultry farm that can replace dying chickens.

We do have all day old chicks immunized for Marek's disease before they are shipped to us from several hatcheries. It appears maybe from your small numbers of postings that you may be new to chickens? ( just wondering?) Be aware that we have a 100% guarantee for all poultry sold, (read online guarantee) I have replaced chickens due to dog or children accidents that are not even guaranteed.

Without any immunizations for your poultry Mareks can really desimate your flocks its possible to lose up to 35% of some flocks to Mareks that are not immunized. Even WITH immunizations for Mareks (its a mutating/changing disease) its also possible to still lose even 5% to Mareks. There are MANY postings on the subject here that can suport this statement. Wit this in mind, had you called or emailed me its very likely that I would have replaced these chickens... However I have not heard from you even once about your chickens dying???? Yet you post your dying chickens on a public forum???? Please identify yourself and perhaps (depending on age and length of time from purchase) I can still replace all of your lost chickens. Give me a call???? Please read:http://www.bluestar-ranch.com/bluestar_ranch_chickens.html

It does not matter WHERE you purchase chickens...All poultry even with the BEST of care can still catch numerous bacteria and become ill. Many people OVERCLEAN coops and can spread dust and dander, this can infact spread Marek's disease. (I am NOT trying to make excuses this is a FACT) No one's chickens are immune to Mareks unless chickens are raised indoors under sanitary conditions! NO ONE I suggest you read more about how to clean coops and not spread dust and more about Mareks.. Keeping your chickens safe and healthy is PART of raising chickens, because they got Mareks is not Blue Star selling ill chickens.

I tell anyone that purchases chickens from Blue Star that if there are problems to let me know right away. I have "nursed" several customers over the phone how to care for ill chickens even MONTHS or YEARS after purchase from Blue Star Ranch. We are here to help. Please do not post discouraging comments about Blue Star Ranch without at least calling us to state any problems.

Excuse the long reply, but I do not want people to read that "My chickens died because I bought them at Blue Star" this is really not the fact. Again, please call me and identify your self and dates of purchase. Thank you Mary Ann http://www.bluestar-ranch.com/index.html

Last edited by a moderator:
I brought my chickens from you the first of October. My last chicken that pasted I sent to A&M and it was confirmed mareks. The last one died with the same symptoms as my others. After I talked to the vet there and doing my research I know now that most chickens have worms and the amount that my 5th one had didn't effect it enough to cause death.
My first one die the 3rd day we had them. I tried to call 4 different times with no call backs which would make my phones the second week of October. I received no calls back and went on your website to look at the health guarantee. I misspoke when i said it was 24 hours im sorry it was 48hours. Your website has since changed and now says you do offer free calls to people who buy from you but that was not the case when I checked.
I also asked the vet if I could still be losing them to mareks since I started to loss them in oct. he said yes because the tumors can grow inside them and they will not all die at once.
I in no way meant to hurt your company. I was asked where I got them and just answered the question. I did not say you sold me dying chickens or that my chickens were dying because I brought them from you I simply said where I purchased them.
Also these are my first chickens and I have been on here tons researching and learning just because I don't have tons of post doesn't me I'm not on here. Lots of these threads are asking advice which since I'm new at this so I have none to offer. When I do post it is to ask questions.

I brought my chickens from you the first of October. My last chicken that pasted I sent to A&M and it was confirmed mareks. The last one died with the same symptoms as my others. After I talked to the vet there and doing my research I know now that most chickens have worms and the amount that my 5th one had didn't effect it enough to cause death.
My first one die the 3rd day we had them. I tried to call 4 different times with no call backs which would make my phones the second week of October. I received no calls back and went on your website to look at the health guarantee. I misspoke when i said it was 24 hours im sorry it was 48hours. Your website has since changed and now says you do offer free calls to people who buy from you but that was not the case when I checked.
I also asked the vet if I could still be losing them to mareks since I started to loss them in oct. he said yes because the tumors can grow inside them and they will not all die at once.
I in no way meant to hurt your company. I was asked where I got them and just answered the question. I did not say you sold me dying chickens or that my chickens were dying because I brought them from you I simply said where I purchased them.
Also these are my first chickens and I have been on here tons researching and learning just because I don't have tons of post doesn't me I'm not on here. Lots of these threads are asking advice which since I'm new at this so I have none to offer. When I do post it is to ask questions.
Kelliguyer, Than you for your reply in honesty here. I appreciate it. Really. (but not answering four phone calls is NOT my style. Sorry, but I am very prompt with service calls.) See its easier to replace a chicken than to handle an upset customer. I actually have replaced chickens when its not even in the guarantee just to make someone happy and keep their business!

I am sure many customers buy chickens from several sellers.. believe me a Rhode Island from Blue Star looks like a Rhode Island from Joe Blow (or Barred Rock, Leghorn etc.....)

All calls at Blue Star are returned promptly and you can always reach me by text or email! I answer my phone 99% of the time even busy days) Perhaps in your frustration you misdialed? Again had you called me this chicken and the others would have been replaceable. Even though I have a 48 hour health guarantee. IF someone calls me (its rare) to say one chick or pullet is not well, I offer all the help I can and have replaced chickens anyway even if long past the guarantee date.

I know healthy chickens and I never ever would sell one that would be so sick it dies on 3rd day. See I RARELY ever have losses. Almost never. I use aged compost in my coops and have the right bacteria balance as well. Don't you think if a chicken was that ill I would have know this?

NO ones chickens are immune to Marek's NO one.Owning chickens is a learning experience and you will find that its a constant process. PLEASE read this page on spread of Mareks and how even healthy chickens can be exposed with incorrect cleaning of coops. This page is compiled with the most common mis information about chickens. I am passing on my and others experiences.

My guarantee is with proof of illness upon death from an animal clinic in 48 hours.(some people call me a week or months after their dog "played" with their chickens and want to know can they get another free chicken because their Pit bull did not mean to kill their chickens) No, I am not kidding!

Each person that buys a chicken inspects the chicken with me before making final selection. A chicken is not like a shirt, or purse or appliance. Each chicken is a live animal and nature will do what nature will do. This does not mean you are a bad owner, (or I am a bad seller either) Marek's is a disease that is carried in dust and wind and is EVERYWHERE

The more you (or anyone) learns about chickens the LESS you know.. There is always more. I think the page I created above will answer a lot of questions for you and especially really new people.

Your posting just shocked me as I am always a phone call or email away and never turn away someone in need. (even people that can't pay, I answer calls for free, many times because they are scared for their chicken and helping is more about people not money. I am really also a nice person too. Either people believe me or they don't.. Lets put it this way. I sleep good at night and feel good about my self and Blue Star Ranch. Thank you

edited by staff to remove links

Last edited by a moderator:
i to bought chickens from Blue Star ranch and i have lost 7 out of 11 and now there are 2 more crippling ,im not putting them down im taking them straight to A&M . i want to know if these birds from Blue Star contaminated my whole beautiful flock .

Wow me too I had bought chickens from blue star also and I have two more than I hsve lost all that was bought from blue star I'm just wandering maybe its just in the Texas AIR I know this is really sad these chickens going down I guess its part of owning a flock I'm about to send my sickest chicken to A&M to be tested and I will let you all know what I find out.

Back
Top Bottom