Chickens for 10-20 years or more? Pull up a rockin' chair and lay some wisdom on us!

Status
Not open for further replies.
All the birds can eat Starter (non medicated) or Grower. My feed company only sells Starter/Grower, a combined product at 18% protein, and another company I use only sells Starter/Grower that is 18% protein. Essentially, a 20% Grower is what Purina calls Flock Raiser, a feed that can be fed to everyone.

If you are concerned about your heavy layers getting the calcium they need, you can offer eggs shells, calcium carbonate ($4 a 50# bag at most Ag stores) or the popular oyster shells on the side. Younger birds don't normally mess with calcium offered on the side as their bodies are not craving it.

Last edited:
So u think as long as I switch out my feed I will be fine to mix these folks lol? I feel like the chicks need more room and hate having them in a kennel.

Feeding everyone Starter/Grower/Raiser solves the feed issue. But, the integration issues will still present themselves. Integration/pecking order is a different subject altogether.

Good info thanks guys n gals for settin me straight! Honestly didnt kno i was going to cause problems in the long run!

Problem solve. Problem staying solved! Engineers lead the way! Cept in this case.... where as OT LEADS THE WAY!

I agree with Fred. We keep our juveniles separate until they are at least 6 months old. We also feed a starter/grower until they are well past 6 months old and/or at point of lay for the breed. If you need more room, build a run onto the kennel. Most lawn stores has used riding mower crates. Cover these with fencing and its an easy fence panel.
Quote:
Quote:
Good info thanks guys n gals for settin me straight! Honestly didnt kno i was going to cause problems in the long run!

Problem solve. Problem staying solved! Engineers lead the way! Cept in this case.... where as OT LEADS THE WAY!

Not an OT, but that's what I do also. My mixed age coop I feed everyone starter/grower and offer the oyster shell on the side. Haven't had too many integration problems and I have ages from newborn to 1+ year old in the same coop. I keep the babies separated in a separate cage (in the coop) until fully feathered unless they have a broody.

so am i understanding right. you feed all your birds{ chickens} starter grower feed. layers and youngens

Starter-Grower-Raiser lots of names for a product(s) that often vary only by the amount of protein, 16%. 18% or 20%, but are essentially the same feed.

Add a 4% level of calcium carbonate and Ta Da, you've got layer.

When a flock is "mixed" ages, feed Starter-Grower or Raiser and there's no concerns. Once everyone is laying, Layer, but just for the price and convenience. If a calcium source is provided, "on the side", then Layer feed is never, actually required. Many top quality bird keepers never buy Layer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom