Chickens for 10-20 years or more? Pull up a rockin' chair and lay some wisdom on us!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any problems giving the medicated feed too long?

A lot of folks never feed medicated at all. Some feed medicated (amprolium) for 6-8 weeks and then are done with it. That's my preference. None or just for the first bit of time.
While the feed companies say it's fine and harmless to any bird and to eggs, I see no reason to use any more of it than necessary.

Your question seems to indicate that you may equate Stater with medicated? Starter often comes with or without amprolium.

A lot of folks never feed medicated at all. Some feed medicated (amprolium) for 6-8 weeks and then are done with it. That's my preference. None or just for the first bit of time.
While the feed companies say it's fine and harmless to any bird and to eggs, I see no reason to use any more of it than necessary.

Your question seems to indicate that you may equate Stater with medicated? Starter often comes with or without amprolium.

No I have Medicated starter/grower and was told to give it to them till they started laying. I have 50 lb for 3 birds who are 8 weeks old.

No I have Medicated starter/grower and was told to give it to them till they started laying. I have 50 lb for 3 birds who are 8 weeks old.

My feed store gave bad advice too. Said to start feeding layer at 8 weeks to get the girls "ready" to lay. Glad I had read this thread first!

My feed store gave bad advice too. Said to start feeding layer at 8 weeks to get the girls "ready" to lay. Glad I had read this thread first!
Many feed stores pride themselves in being good advice givers. We've a couple of feed store operators here, Lazy J, I think, who is an doctoral level education nutritionist. But, let's be realistic. Hundreds and hundreds of feed stores with near minimum wage staff? The advice repeated here, from time to time, makes me cringe. LOL
Any problems giving the medicated feed too long?

From what perspective? The birds health? I can only share my thoughts. I want resistant birds with high immunity. Too long on the medicated masks what I need to see, naturally developed immunity. I'll willingly take instruction from others more knowledgeable than I, but that's my point of view.

Fred, what do you think of hog feed, 16%, as an adequate feed source for chickens that also free range?

Tempting. A chicken can survive on just about anything, including ranging and hog feed, I am sure. It's not the protein, but the lack of trace elements or the addition of trace elements that concerns me, as a bird is not a mammal and a pig is not a bird, so their needs for nutrition must be different in many, many respects. I'm all for being thrifty and I am. But I am not penny wise and pound foolish when it comes to my chicks and pullets. I've a lot invested in them and I envision a bright future of health and productivity from them. So, I feed them well.

thanks for clarification. i raise my flock including meaties on grower with pasture. just looking to see if i could improve my flock. my new birds are 16 weeks and hopefully should start laying soon. my batch of meat birds turned out fine. they took a little longer 11 weeks or so. however they produce a wonder carcass with lots of meat and taste. i don't go for the meat raiser food. to expensive. my chickens came in an average of 10lbs . i cooked one last night 11.2 lbs. i use a grain mill in town. 18% and $9.00 for 50lbs. i do supplement with vegies and freezer burnt meat.

feed store people are funny. most of them would not know a leghorn from a black sex link. their job is to sell. most of the time if you asked them about a chicken, their answer would be my grandmother or friends grandmother used this or did it this way. a chicken is basically a chicken. it is what works for your specific flock. if you spend time with your flock they will tell you what they need. not literally of course. if they do step away from the chickens or ask what the winning lottery number is. i check mine all the time. just make mental notes. after some time you will come to realize what they need. i am no chicken expert. however if basic needs food, water ,shelter are met the rest is just fill in the blanks.
in fact i have a need. humm, MORE CHICKENS! lol. **** chicken math

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom