Chickens for 10-20 years or more? Pull up a rockin' chair and lay some wisdom on us!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm getting a webpage up and hope to have it complete soon and I'm going to have contact forms on there so that people can post a question and I can answer it~using OT answers given here and my answers. Soon I'll have a book comprised of all these questions and answers so that you can have it right on hand at your home. Please help me with this endeavor by posting your questions to the webpage so that we can organize the information for ease of use.

Meanwhile, I'll be taking questions from this thread and the answers given by the OTs and organizing them on the webpage, so check the area of interest before you post your questions as it may have been already answered. It's a work in progress, so please be patient with me!

ETA: Thank you for reading the whole thread..that is commitment to your goals, for sure!!!! Asking for a mentor also shows good instincts...it always helps to have a go to guy and I'm sure any of the OTs here would be more than glad to answer questions here on the thread where we can all learn from the answer.

Last edited:
I read about the shatter resistant bulbs over a year ago but because of my senility can't for the life of me remember where I read it. LOL I only buy bulbs specifically labeled heat bulbs. Had an abundance of broodys this year and haven't incubated any. But thanks for reminding me. Too many senior moments these days.

"Yes, ma'am, my Mom told me this story about my Dad You may know him, his name is AL. Dad was a flight engineer in Desert Storm and his plane got hit. he had to bailout over enemy territory and all he had was a bottle of whiskey, a machinegun and a machete. he drank the whiskey on the way down so it wouldn't break and then he landed right in the middle of 100 enemy troops. he killed seventy of them with the machine gun until he ran out of bullets. Then he killed twenty more with the machete until the blade broke. And then he killed the last ten with his bare hands."

"Good heavens," said the horrified teacher, "what kind of moral did your Mom tell you from that horrible story?"

"Stay the Hell away from AL when He's been drinking."

LOL see I ain't serious all the time.
lau.gif
thank you for that al lol... my kids heard me laughing and are now begging me to relay the joke to them...not sure they'll get the humor in it (they're young), but here goes...

Thanks Bee................

Now you know I couldn't post such a serious article without having a little fun so here ya go.

The teacher gave her fifth grade class an assignment: Go home and get their parents to tell them a story with a moral at the end of it. The next day the kids came back and one by one began to tell their stories:

Ashley said, "My father's a farmer and we have a lot of egg-laying hens. One time we were taking our eggs to market in a basket on the front seat of the pickup when we hit a big bump in the road and all the eggs went flying and broke and made a mess."

"And what's the moral of the story?" asked the teacher.

"Don't put all your eggs in one basket!"

"Very good," said the teacher.

Next little Sarah raised her hand and said, "Our family are farmers too. But we raise chickens for the meat market. We had a dozen eggs one time, but when they hatched we only got ten live chicks, and the moral to this story is, 'don't count your chickens before they're hatched.'"

"That was a fine story Sarah."

Alyssa do you have a story to share?"

"Yes, ma'am, my Mom told me this story about my Dad You may know him, his name is AL. Dad was a flight engineer in Desert Storm and his plane got hit. he had to bailout over enemy territory and all he had was a bottle of whiskey, a machinegun and a machete. he drank the whiskey on the way down so it wouldn't break and then he landed right in the middle of 100 enemy troops. he killed seventy of them with the machine gun until he ran out of bullets. Then he killed twenty more with the machete until the blade broke. And then he killed the last ten with his bare hands."

"Good heavens," said the horrified teacher, "what kind of moral did your Mom tell you from that horrible story?"

"Stay the Hell away from AL when He's been drinking."

LOL see I ain't serious all the time.
I've had so much fun today catching up on this thread. Once again LMAO. Thanks Al, Walt, Bee for the comic relief!

Bee: I can't wait to buy your book.

wooo wee ..let me go on vacation for a week and my word ..like to never got caught up ..phew ..lots of gooood read'in here..thanks so much for all you time ot's even though im an ot me self ..but love the storys and fun ..god bless

Its been fun reading this thread. Just found it, there are so many threads now.

I've had chickens, and birds, my whole life. But, I'm only going to count the ones from when I personally was really in charge of my own, so that means 33 years. Now, every now and then I've not had chickens for a year, but I've always had either chickens or ducks, and we're not even going to talk about the turkeys, geese, pheasent, quail and peacock. :D

I'm no font of knowledge, but I know my way around the hen house.

BTW, the story about Al was funny.

If you want, please go to my link (about 1" below) and follow it to my BYC VOTE for my 136 year old houses new paint job. Its fun, and we're gonna use the winning vote for real.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom