Chickens for 10-20 years or more? Pull up a rockin' chair and lay some wisdom on us!

Status
Not open for further replies.
MoonAngel12: Oh! How I wish we were closer! I just bought my neighbor's (broke his hip last month, and is not going to come home) entire flock so his kids could sell his place. There are a dozen lovely Buff Orp. hens, tho no rooster...I killed him day before yesterday in defense and revenge for my bloody knees. He (the neighbor) says they were a year old in June. I did worm the whole flock because they had fleas and I suspected tapeworms. They are beautiful, even through the horrible heat we've had. Has some black ones that he can't remember what are, and some white leghorns. And there are 18 fuzzy chicks, but there is a leghorn rooster that was in with them, too, so they may not be full blood Orps. All 3 mom hens are Orps. Sure wish you had 'em!
but, but, but ................ Bee just said Bo's weren't worth anything, right before you posted this
wink.png

That's just Bee's opinion, for what it's worth.
wink.png
A person has to learn for themselves, when all is said and done. Just watch your different breeds and find out for yourself what works for your flock goals.

Some folks don't mind having fat hens that don't lay as well as other breeds because they are pretty and look like a Butterscotch cake and they find that is enough for them to warrant keeping them....even my granny kept a few chickens just for pretty.

I'm just a little more...um...frugal and practical in my husbandry goals than even my granny was...heck, she was old. She earned the right to have a few worthless breeds in her fine flock of layers just to keep her amused!
big_smile.png
She had a few with hairy feet and one that had a top knot...made her laugh to look at them.

Sometimes a gal just has to have something for pretty or for fun, so I don't fault folks their choices.
smile.png
Making the core flock out of those breeds is probably not a good idea, though, if you want a good backyard flock. Good layer breeds are just as pretty in my eyes, plus they earn their keep...what more could you ask?

That's just Bee's opinion, for what it's worth.
wink.png
A person has to learn for themselves, when all is said and done. Just watch your different breeds and find out for yourself what works for your flock goals.

Some folks don't mind having fat hens that don't lay as well as other breeds because they are pretty and look like a Butterscotch cake and they find that is enough for them to warrant keeping them....even my granny kept a few chickens just for pretty.

I'm just a little more...um...frugal and practical in my husbandry goals than even my granny was...heck, she was old. She earned the right to have a few worthless breeds in her fine flock of layers just to keep her amused!
big_smile.png
She had a few with hairy feet and one that had a top knot...made her laugh to look at them.

Sometimes a gal just has to have something for pretty or for fun, so I don't fault folks their choices.
smile.png
Making the core flock out of those breeds is probably not a good idea, though, if you want a good backyard flock. Good layer breeds are just as pretty in my eyes, plus they earn their keep...what more could you ask?
I know, I was just busting on the post. kinda funny it was right after yours saying they were worthless as layers. Also everyone I know who HAD them lost them to predators. Not sure if it is the light color or the slow fat hen. But predators got them. They are pretty. I'll say that. I personally can find any hen pretty except for maybe a silkie. They are aliens. Not chickens
lau.gif

Agreed!
big_smile.png
The BOs just weren't suitable for a free range flock due to their docility and consumption of feed....which both probably contribute to their loss to preds. I've found that having light colored birds means nothing when it comes to hawk predation...they have excellent eyesight and can pick off a brown hen as quick as a white one. That's just human thinking...because we can see them easier and would choose them as the obvious target, we imagine a hawk or owl would choose them first.

Actually, in my way of thinking, an aerial pred would more likely pick off the more natural looking prey...and you don't find many white birds in the wild here in these parts.

I know, I was just busting on the post. kinda funny it was right after yours saying they were worthless as layers. Also everyone I know who HAD them lost them to predators. Not sure if it is the light color or the slow fat hen. But predators got them. They are pretty. I'll say that. I personally can find any hen pretty except for maybe a silkie. They are aliens. Not chickens
lau.gif
Haha!
big_smile.png
I have 3 silkies, and I agree, they are weird! I could find any hen pretty except for naked necks and show girls.
sickbyc.gif
So far, the only breed of chicken that I will never get again are red sex links. I am highly displeased with mine. The are not even 1 year, 4 months old yet and already they look worse than my 6 year old black aussie. One of them does not even lay! I would cull them now but then my big roo wouldn't have enough hens.

Silkies make great toilet paper for real hens and we've found, if you tack them to the coop floor in front of the nest boxes, they will keep the hens from tracking poop into the nests. One other use that may be of value for free range flocks is using silkies as sacrificial decoys for hawks so that the real hens can make a quick getaway.

big_smile.png

Silkies make great toilet paper for real hens and we've found, if you tack them to the coop floor in front of the nest boxes, they will keep the hens from tracking poop into the nests. One other use that may be of value for free range flocks is using silkies as sacrificial decoys for hawks so that the real hens can make a quick getaway.

big_smile.png
yuckyuck.gif
and a good uses !

big_smile.png
gig.gif
TP, rugs, and hawk decoys..LOL!
lol.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom