Chickens for 10-20 years or more? Pull up a rockin' chair and lay some wisdom on us!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I put eyes on every bird, every day. I don't/won't pick one up unless there is a sobering reason to do so. Scrutinizing is the right word. Observing or watching doesn't quite imply the critical eye that experienced flock keepers seem to develop. I spend a lot more time watching the younger pullets. It is my job to get to know them by behavior, shape, feathering, personality etc. This extra time spent with the pullets pays dividends when they become layers, later on. Have to establish their individual baseline for normal.

I sometimes like to rattle a can of pellets and have them trot a few steps toward the sound. This enables me to quickly see if anyone is less than spry.

If I am gone for a few days on a trip, I'll spend a bit of time catching up. Always nice to check them and see everything is OK.

I am always surprised how quickly these birds seem to grow if you haven't seen the young ones for a few days.

Walt

lol.png
So glad you like it, Jen! Welcome! Over on a sister site I have formed a club called P.I.S.S.I (People In Support of Stress-induced Incontinence)...feel free to join us with tongue firmly in cheek and waterproof pad on your chair!
gig.gif
Sign me up!

OT question: What methods do you use that you feel contribute most directly towards your flocks good health?
Never over crowd your birds. Over crowding leads to stress , and stress kills. Fresh food,water, air, and sunshine, with no over crowding, will let most breeds of poultry thrive, and overcome most human mistakes in husbandry.

Wow What a Chicken Week I have had....Tues: Lost one bird to illness (thanks again for all the insight and support) - Wed: got our first egg from our eldest - Fri: Got our second egg (same chicken) -- Now for my Surprise: I think I have a Roo. "She" has been taking over as "Alpha Chicken" these last 3 weeks but this morning I would swear "She" CROWED. Sounded very fog hornish - not the crows I am used to hearing.... Could someone please confirm my suspicions. I was suspect before, and the feathers have been a little ruff and only just prettying up. I have one of each: Black Copper Marans, Buff Orpington and Rhode Island Red. RIR is suspect. Looked closer at the legs and believe there to be small nubs where the spurs will grown in - the other girls do not have them.

My urban coop was smelly! 4 chickens making a mess to be sure. Yet, I figured it out. I now feed them 2/3 less than I used to...2/3 less poop...2/3 less smell.... I'm brilliant! No more smelly coop! So they are a tad thinner...I'd kill to be thinner.

Bob b.

Wow What a Chicken Week I have had....Tues: Lost one bird to illness (thanks again for all the insight and support) - Wed: got our first egg from our eldest - Fri: Got our second egg (same chicken) -- Now for my Surprise: I think I have a Roo. "She" has been taking over as "Alpha Chicken" these last 3 weeks but this morning I would swear "She" CROWED. Sounded very fog hornish - not the crows I am used to hearing.... Could someone please confirm my suspicions. I was suspect before, and the feathers have been a little ruff and only just prettying up. I have one of each: Black Copper Marans, Buff Orpington and Rhode Island Red. RIR is suspect. Looked closer at the legs and believe there to be small nubs where the spurs will grown in - the other girls do not have them.

The red is a cockerel. The black looks to have a wry tail, but can't tell the sex of it from that picture.

My urban coop was smelly! 4 chickens making a mess to be sure. Yet, I figured it out. I now feed them 2/3 less than I used to...2/3 less poop...2/3 less smell.... I'm brilliant! No more smelly coop! So they are a tad thinner...I'd kill to be thinner.
Bob b.
I'm not sure that any of the occupants of Dauchau, or Bergen Belsen would have agreed with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom