Chickens for 10-20 years or more? Pull up a rockin' chair and lay some wisdom on us!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Number one, perhaps, is a good diet. I buy good, fresh, locally milled feed. The birds do get some vegetable scraps, in season, from our large gardens. I also leave them just a whisker short of being full. I don't over-feed and I portion control. Yes, they are well fed, but I don't believe in wasted feed or old, stale feed. I also refuse to feed rodents.

But it starts in the brooder, perhaps. I brood in very cold temps and do not provide anything special other than a warm spot. I brood chicks in anything but a pampered environment. The chicks seem to thrive.

I believe in clean water, of course, but I believe in fresh air. Our barn is designed off a century old design called the Windsor hen house. We don't insulate, we don't heat even though our winters are often brutal. Our air is usually dry and fresh, which I think is a good thing. We use old fashioned, clean, yellow straw.

What any of the above has to do with health, I honestly don't know. To me, these things are just normal husbandry. I read here about runny noses, respiratory wheezing and a host of other things I've never honestly dealt with. Wouldn't have much idea what to do with all these maladies if I encountered them. I don't see our robins, crows, eagles or song birds needing a vet, so I've never used a vet's service for the birds.

So, all in all, I've got nothin' Bee. Nothin' at all to contribute. No magic, no secret formulas whatsoever.
idunno.gif

Number one, perhaps, is a good diet. I buy good, fresh, locally milled feed. The birds do get some vegetable scraps, in season, from our large gardens. I also leave them just a whisker short of being full. I don't over-feed and I portion control. Yes, they are well fed, but I don't believe in wasted feed or old, stale feed. I also refuse to feed rodents.

But it starts in the brooder, perhaps. I brood in very cold temps and do not provide anything special other than a warm spot. I brood chicks in anything but a pampered environment. The chicks seem to thrive.

I believe in clean water, of course, but I believe in fresh air. Our barn is designed off a century old design called the Windsor hen house. We don't insulate, we don't heat even though our winters are often brutal. Our air is usually dry and fresh, which I think is a good thing. We use old fashioned, clean, yellow straw.

What any of the above has to do with health, I honestly don't know. To me, these things are just normal husbandry. I read here about runny noses, respiratory wheezing and a host of other things I've never honestly dealt with. Wouldn't have much idea what to do with all these maladies if I encountered them. I don't see our robins, crows, eagles or song birds needing a vet, so I've never used a vet's service for the birds.

So, all in all, I've got nothin' Bee. Nothin' at all to contribute. No magic, no secret formulas whatsoever.
idunno.gif

That WAS the magic formula! I wanted those wanting to know these things to hear how similar is the OTs advice, even though they come from different backgrounds and areas...when it all comes down to it, there is no magic bullet for good chicken health. The magic is that normal, natural care of their environment to insure fresh air, no crowding, good feeding practices and no crutching of weak, sick birds is all that is needed.

Basically, you said almost word for word what I would have said....which confirms my belief that it matters not your area, region or background in poultry, the rules of good care are pretty standard.

Last edited:
 It is inhumane to lock up birds in a small coop, and cut their feed, simply to control the amount of poop produced, according to God's law.

I should have said, not agreeing or disagreeing. I didn't want to get into that debate as I'm not an OT and I don't know the details. It does sound inhumane to me.

It is inhumane to lock up birds in a small coop, and cut their feed, simply to control the amount of poop produced, according to God's law.

Agreed. And by the same person's logic, wouldn't withholding food completely make no poo at all? Wouldn't that be genius? Please folks, common sense. If the coop stinks too bad, either something is wrong with your husbandry or your nose is too sensitive. Or both.

I would like once again to thank all you OT's for your responses to the questions.

I am far from an old timer, but directly from this specific thread, I have learned an immense amount of information which include me free ranging for space, a barn for space and good ventilation, ACV in their water sometimes, etc....

For awesome flock health, there is one itty bitty secret, inside information thing that I will share. Normally, I keep these special secrets to myself, but on this rare occasion, I will let this one slip.

I have water buckets outside, strategically positioned so the hens can drink conveniently. These are the free pails that ice cream comes in. One gallon size.

Anyway, when you re-fill these pails, always pour in around two gallons, causing an over flooding of fresh, clean, sparkling well water in the pail for the hens to drink. The birds come running whenever they hear the sound of pouring water. Straight to the fresh, clean, bucket, you ask? Heaven's no! They rush to get there in order to drink the over-flow of water making puddles on the dirt. They want to drink that puddle water before it soaks in. THAT water is very, very special and will always be chosen first by discerning hens. Trust me.

There's your OT insider tip of the day.

Last edited:
For awesome flock health, there is one itty bitty secret, inside information thing that I will share. Normally, I keep these special secrets to myself, but on this rare occasion, I will let this one slip.

I have water buckets outside, strategically positioned so the hens can drink conveniently. These are the free pails that ice cream comes in. One gallon size.

Anyway, when you re-fill these pails, always pour in around two gallons, causing an over flooding of fresh, clean, sparkling well water in the pail for the hens to drink. The birds come running whenever they hear the sound of pouring water. Straight to the fresh, clean, bucket, you ask? Heaven's no! They rush to get there in order to drink the over-flow of water making puddles on the dirt. They want to drink that puddle water before it soaks in. THAT water is very, very special and will always be chosen first by discerning hens. Trust me.

There's your OT insider tip of the day.

That is why it cracks me up when I see posts that say your birds should never drink from a puddle.

Walt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom