Chickens for 10-20 years or more? Pull up a rockin' chair and lay some wisdom on us!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
lau.gif

I know I was trying to add a little levity lol. I've been looking for it too because my girls don't eat oyster shell all that well if at all and I'm looking for something a little more palatable. Crushed egg shells are gone in a heart beat.
They'll eat it when they need it, if they are not getting it from their regular rations.

in my opinion , your birds are to young to molt. chickens don't really molt to their 2nd fall. what i think you are seeing is the new feathers coming in, as new feathers come in the birds preen themselves.
you are correct in what you are seeing in the older birds. as the bird matures the comb, wattles, and face will become larger and red indicating maturity,
i can tell you my columbian rocks just started to lay at 6 months of age.
Thank you. As I look at others peoples birds I keep thinking my hens are still young. I know the person I got the birds said between 22-28 weeks they will start laying. But I assumed the wattles & combs would be in more before then. They are constantly preening now. As I was working in their run today it seems they have grown more since the other day. They are looking more adult like with their tale feathers and feathers near their legs. They still have the pullet faces tho. They were scrawny little pullets and are now more than double the size. I find it fun to watch them grow and see the changes.

I am in no big hurry for eggs just excited about it lol I know they are in the nesting boxes some part of the day. I have also noticed some of the girls in the coop during the day so I figured it was to check on the nesting boxes? (well more hopeful)

Thank you. As I look at others peoples birds I keep thinking my hens are still young. I know the person I got the birds said between 22-28 weeks they will start laying. But I assumed the wattles & combs would be in more before then. They are constantly preening now. As I was working in their run today it seems they have grown more since the other day. They are looking more adult like with their tale feathers and feathers near their legs. They still have the pullet faces tho. They were scrawny little pullets and are now more than double the size. I find it fun to watch them grow and see the changes.

I am in no big hurry for eggs just excited about it lol I know they are in the nesting boxes some part of the day. I have also noticed some of the girls in the coop during the day so I figured it was to check on the nesting boxes? (well more hopeful)
my pullets did the same thing before they lay. they make a nest and practice. they get comfortable. i saw one with coffee and the morning news paper.
also many pullets will use the same nest box. just think someday soon you will go to the nest box and see 4,5,6 eggs.
i forgot to ask are these birds hatchery stock ? hatchery stock seems to lay earlier than , for lack of a better term, lineage stock.

Since I've had chicks of different ages for 6 months with my adult hens and roos, they have been on Flock Raiser. My chickens eat all the crushed egg shells I give them, but since I'm selling most of my eggs now, they get oyster shell for extra calcium. They will not eat the larger pieces, but if I take a hammer to the big chunks, they gobble them. Why do they put such big pieces in the oyster shell bags. All that's left are the big chunks in my bowl.

I have 19 Pullets from Ideal. 10 Buff Leghorns, and 9 California Whites. They are 19 1/2 weeks and no eggs yet. After reading some of the other threads, I had it in my head that hatchery birds would be laying by 16-18 weeks....

I have 19 Pullets from Ideal. 10 Buff Leghorns, and 9 California Whites. They are 19 1/2 weeks and no eggs yet. After reading some of the other threads, I had it in my head that hatchery birds would be laying by 16-18 weeks....
Sorry, that's the very early end of the spectrum. 20 weeks is more average, 24 weeks not unheard of.

just keep a watch on them. from what i understand of the leghorn breed they are prolific layers of white eggs. i always figure a chicken gets going at 6 months. being they are hatchery stock they should lay a little sooner. i would just keep an eye on them for signs of point of lay. red combs, wattles, and face. before you know it you will more eggs than you can eat. those birds will lay and lay and lay and then lay some more.
if they are not penned and out free range look for nests around the land.

Last edited:
Five to six months is pretty much considered to be the average POL for heritage type layer breeds...give or take a few weeks. I've had some start earlier and some, but not many, start later. I don't even expect eggs until then and am often pleasantly surprised if they start earlier. It's nice but not necessarily a good thing.

If I had any advice for those waiting for their first eggs it would be this: Red combs and wattles, leg color, squatting, etc. aren't always an indication of a hen that is going to lay....an egg in the nest is.

I know in today's world, six months seems like a long time to wait but it gives you time to get your flock sorted out, settled in, the pecking order settled and your health management perfected. By the time they start laying, everything should be running smooth and you can sit back and enjoy those very first eggs as being the next natural step in your flock's life.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom