Chickens for 10-20 years or more? Pull up a rockin' chair and lay some wisdom on us!

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's a lot of confusion, I think, about the term "hatchery stock". When some people refer to hatchery stock they are thinking of the production cross birds like Golden Comets, Red Stars, Production Blacks, Production Reds, White Leghorns, RIR, etc. These are chickens that have been bred by the hatcheries for early and high volume laying but burn out quickly and aren't real hardy. The hatchery version of the leghorns and RIRs are not the best representation of the breed, as they too have been manipulated for production reasons, and these would be better obtained from breeders with old lines if one wanted the true characteristics of these wonderful layers.

The heritage, dual-purpose hatchery sourced breeds like the Plymouth Rocks, Orpingtons, Black Aussies, Speckled Sussex, Dominiques, etc. are a little closer to their original characteristics, thought still a far cry in regards to conformation, hardiness, production, etc. They still mature later than do the breeds manipulated for production, as indicated in the above paragraph.

They are NOT grandma's old chickens, in any way, but sometimes you get lucky and get hatchery birds of the heritage strains that still perform a little like their ancestors. I've been lucky in that regard but still got to see what the hatcheries did to my grandma's old reliable, Dominiques...nothing like the original birds and I'd never get another from a hatchery source.

Hatchery stock are good enough for most backyard flocks but you may have to cull, breed the best, cull some more, etc. before you will develop a flock with the characteristics you need for a utilitarian, sustainable flock of egg birds. I don't even mess with the production birds anymore as they aren't hardy and you can really see this start to show in their second year.

If you stick with the breeds that haven't suffered from over tampering when ordering from the hatchery, you can get some birds that will lay well and last awhile...but they mature a little slower than the production breeds, which is a good thing.
Thanks Bee for the great info once again. I am always looking for info on the type of birds I have to see how close they are to the original heritage birds. I am not in hurry for eggs.I was just looking for info to see what the signs were of them reaching maturity & you all have done that.

I find it very relaxing to take care of my hens. Most people see me in my chair watching the girls when I take a break from chores just watching the antics of the hens in the big run. Who knew watching a hen chasing a bug could be so amusing. Its amazing how much they have grown in the 6 weeks I have had them. While I am a backyard chicken keeper I like the fact I have less since I can keep an eye on their growth & watch for changes. I really dont eat many eggs so the extras will be given to family or sold. Its just me at home so 4 is plenty but from all the great tips I have received here I am not afraid of getting more if I decide to in the future. Nothing would please me more than moving to a house in the country with a few acres to add to my critters. I am an animal person & enjoy working with them.

I mean who would spend the last 2 hours cutting up various fruits & veggies to put in the freezer for their hens for the winter? This girl here lol Found some great deals on apples, pumpkins, squash, cucumbers & zucchini and storing up for the winter.

Quick question: are gourds ok for chickens? some self planted themselves in the veggie garden & I picked some up today. I figured since they are squash they would be fine?

Yep! They aren't as sweet as squash or pumpkins(just a soft gourd) but are in the same family. The seeds are about the same as pumpkins in regards to the antihelminic properties. They have such a tough skin and a dryer meat that they would probably be more palatable if frozen and thawed later and/or fermented and fed that way. Good stuff when winter rolls around and they haven't had any fresh greenery...then they will eat anything resembling vegetable fiber/sugar/starch like it's going out of style.

Speaking of feed stores, mine was out of almost all chicken feed today, and my chickens just inhaled the last of theirs.
So I bought 50 pounds of scratch as a last resort till they get stuff in or I find another store. Bee, I'm assuming it would be better if I fermented it?

Wouldn't hurt and can only help... still not as complete as the layer mixes, but it oughta tide you over until you can get your regular feed.

Therapydoglady used hatchery chickens for her egg production, too, so that's what we are doing as well. She replaced her flock every 2 years whether they were spent or not. She said they weren't ever worth their feed past 2 years. She always got her new stock in October or November, so they were ready to lay in the Spring. When they started laying good, then the old ones would go, and the new ones would take their place. We have had many complaints from her customers that there are no fresh eggs to be had here in Kermit. They are glad we're going to pick up that slack, but they just have to give us some time. Her goat milk customers, same thing. I think in time we will be welcomed here, and become part of the community, but so far...not so much!

Bryan and the kids got back about an hour ago. BJ's birds are absolutely gorgeous! They are being housed in the layer coop and run until we get their "palace" fixed. That rooster, tho, is already looking at me and Samantha kind of sideways. Better keep a watch on him! I did not put ACV in their waterer as it is galvanized. Will replace it with plastic this week. Should have done it yesterday, but ran out of daylight and git-up-and-go. TSC is open late in Odessa, but just couldn't make myself drive 45 miles over there and then back for a chicken waterer!

They brought the Anatolian puppy home, too. Sooooo cute! It'll be hard not to just love her up, but she's already with the ducks, and we will do like we are supposed to, only handling her at feeding times and to go to the vet's etc.

Things are clinking into place around here, and I sure do like that sound...

Brie

My hatchery layers are in their 6th year and still worth their feed. I cull for the ones that can still hold up their end of the laying bargain and I have 10 hens out of the original 30 bought 6 years ago that still make the cut year after year. We'll see who makes the cut come spring.

Yep! They aren't as sweet as squash or pumpkins(just a soft gourd) but are in the same family. The seeds are about the same as pumpkins in regards to the antihelminic properties. They have such a tough skin and a dryer meat that they would probably be more palatable if frozen and thawed later and/or fermented and fed that way. Good stuff when winter rolls around and they haven't had any fresh greenery...then they will eat anything resembling vegetable fiber/sugar/starch like it's going out of style.
I tried cutting up an acorn squash I got for them today. Almost impossible with the skin. But I got a piece hacked off & put it in the run & the girls gobbled up the seeds. The rest I got will sit out before I attempt cutting them up. I figure the pumpkins will be easier then as well. But I at least a couple pumpkins & gourds will be tossed in veggie garden to see if they self seed themselves again for next year :)

th.gif
That's cold, man...really cold.

lol.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom