Chickens for 10-20 years or more? Pull up a rockin' chair and lay some wisdom on us!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
lol.png
lau.gif
Yer killin' me! I'll borrow Redhen's siggy and say, "I laughed so hard I cried down my leg."

Quote:
That feeder idea sounds great! Would love to see a picture. We have a small coop and the hanging feeder takes up a pretty big area.

Ours is small too, I don't have any pics on my FB page to steal from tonight, and I am at work, so I'll post some when I get home.

Now see...I'm going to get in trouble. OT advice warning!

IME, you really don't need to make up any PVC contraptions to have space saving and go cheap....a piece of guttering with a cap of woven wire, mounted on the wall of your coop and with some support for the bottom(bricks work) is much easier. The wire keeps birds from flicking and scratching through the feed and the open face of the whole length of the feeder is an easy to fill solution.

I tried the PVC feeder and soon discarded it for a more practical and easy solution. You should have seen the work I did to make the durn thing...too much.
tongue.png

Quote:
I provide no artifical heat whatsoever to adult birds, I do however have the sense to do walk arounds and make sure there are no big drafts or excessive leaky area's, they will keep warm and toasty all by their lonesome. I do give my very young chicks heat if needed because they go outside at age 3 wks no exceptions and in the winter months like now when I will have chicks outside in December they get a little heat lamp action for a short time, and I never lose birds to the elements. This is not cruel, it helps them develop their senses and survive better, and not be spoiled to the point where they couldn't take care of themselfs if they tried because someone isn't around to think they need something they don't and only harm them by bringing them indoors. This is just basic common sense, provide for them so they can provide for themselfs, not provide so much that they don't know how to survive. This in the end will make them much stronger than you can imagine and healthier too.

I like to use rubber water bowls in winter, if the water freezes take it out turn it upside down stomp it once or twice till the ice falls free and refill. The birds will learn to drink their fill soon and quickly before it refreezes in a few hours. No need for heated this or that, how do you think wild birds of their size find water in the harshest of weather, they have learned.............. they know what's the best way to find water and here's a secret, it's never heated LOL.

Lighting and heat. Don't do it, never did. Flock lays supremely in peak season, slows down in the winter and I never needed so many eggs that I had to goose them up to make a little more. I sell eggs when there is plenty, save them for my family and a few preferred customers when there are few.

Nature is always the best teacher....if a bird doesn't lay as much in the winter it is because they just shouldn't be doing it then. Some do, some don't, some will, some can't.

To defray costs when egg money isn't coming in as regular, I buy whole grains to cut my layer rations. Goes further, keeps the flock well in the winter but isn't designed for peak laying season nutritional needs.

Heat is provided by God and all His incredible handiwork....warm, fluffy feathering. I also use deep litter for the added benefit of floor warmth. My big coop windows are covered with plastic but the pop door is always open.

Last edited:
Quote:
That feeder idea sounds great! Would love to see a picture. We have a small coop and the hanging feeder takes up a pretty big area.

Ours is small too, I don't have any pics on my FB page to steal from tonight, and I am at work, so I'll post some when I get home.

Now we know.......
wink.png

Quote:

Now we know.......
wink.png

Oh it's completely legit, I'm a paramedic and as long as we aren't on a call we can be on the computer, take naps, watch TV whatever.

The fine print...... I am an old-timer,not with chickens but with most other things country-wise so I hope you folks don't mind me steppin in a moment.

Speaking of feeders, I've made ours with salvaged materials and they work great. I take a plastic bucket(pickle bucket,pool conditioner pail or similar) drill one inch holes around the bottom every 3-5" and 1' above the bottom. Make a spreader cone(think upside-down funnel) same diameter as the bottom of the bucket from aluminum flashing material. screw a plastic flower pot base a couple of inches bigger that the bucket to the bottom of the bucket and hang the feeder from the roof with an old dog chain. One filling(ours is a 3 gallon bucket) lasts a week or better for our 13 girls in the summer. We refill every 3 days in winter or whenever the girls can't free-range.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom