Chickens for 10-20 years or more? Pull up a rockin' chair and lay some wisdom on us!

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK here's an oddball question for you OT types. I have three hatchery buff orpingtons. Two different times now I've had a rooster around and about and just for grins, hatched a couple of their eggs. Each time, it could have been one of the three but for various reasons I think it's one in particular. The first time I did that, I was using an incubator. Only 1 chick hatched from three of their eggs. The other two had made it partway and gave up. And the one that did hatch? It was weak and died at around 3 days old. Ok, I figured, most likely my fault somehow, who knows.

So this time, I let my favorite broody set them. Four of Nine started to develop and I figure "Great!" because I know that a few hens were not receptive yet of Mr. Roo when the eggs were laid. Ok. Now.

Only one of those hatched. The rest made it almost to hatch and died. And the one that did hatch, has what looks for all the world to me like intestines coming out of it. I assume it's "egg sac" stuff and didn't get a good look at it with the broody not wanting me around them much, etc. They were getting (and still do) calf manna in 18% grower mix with oyster shell on the side along with bugs, etc. and a bird seed "treat" that my neighbor likes to toss them once a day.

I've hatched other eggs and yes, sometimes, especially at the beginning I did stuff wrong but this broody has never had anything go wrong with hers. She's my favorite because she is just so good at it. But even so, every egg so far that comes from these hatchery buffs either has a chick "give up" before hatch or is weak and doesn't make it. What do you make of this?

to bee and brie. i just used a average temp for all the birds young and old.
i cook at these temps.

1. Cornish x - 350-375 depending on weight

2. freedom rangers - 300 ( that may need tweaking )

3. mature rooster - 250-275

4. old hen 250

mature rooster or old hen are also made soup out of or cooked in a crock pot. depending on my mood.

these birds are all cooked in a covered roasting pan with a little water in the bottom and veggies. around the last 1/2 hr or so, the top is removed and more butter applied to get a nice golden skin.

i also use a meat thermometer to check internal temps

so
tongue.gif

for live bird fully featherd. i agree 350-375 temp. i also have a masseuse on call for deep tissue massage. i heard this will produce a very tender bird. however you must do this starting a 3 weeks of age i learned this technique from a hippie monk back in late 70's. this monk also trained the producers o f Colby beef.

bee, i almost forgot . i will be using your jacuzzi method for meat birds.

Last edited:
to bee and brie. i just used a average temp for all the birds young and old.
i cook at these temps.

1. Cornish x - 350-375 depending on weight

2. freedom rangers - 300 ( that may need tweaking )

3. mature rooster - 250-275

4. old hen 250

mature rooster or old hen are also made soup out of or cooked in a crock pot. depending on my mood.

these birds are all cooked in a covered roasting pan with a little water in the bottom and veggies. around the last 1/2 hr or so, the top is removed and more butter applied to get a nice golden skin.

i also use a meat thermometer to check internal temps

so
tongue.gif

lol.png

OK here's an oddball question for you OT types. I have three hatchery buff orpingtons. Two different times now I've had a rooster around and about and just for grins, hatched a couple of their eggs. Each time, it could have been one of the three but for various reasons I think it's one in particular. The first time I did that, I was using an incubator. Only 1 chick hatched from three of their eggs. The other two had made it partway and gave up. And the one that did hatch? It was weak and died at around 3 days old. Ok, I figured, most likely my fault somehow, who knows.
So this time, I let my favorite broody set them. Four of Nine started to develop and I figure "Great!" because I know that a few hens were not receptive yet of Mr. Roo when the eggs were laid. Ok. Now.
Only one of those hatched. The rest made it almost to hatch and died. And the one that did hatch, has what looks for all the world to me like intestines coming out of it. I assume it's "egg sac" stuff and didn't get a good look at it with the broody not wanting me around them much, etc. They were getting (and still do) calf manna in 18% grower mix with oyster shell on the side along with bugs, etc. and a bird seed "treat" that my neighbor likes to toss them once a day.
I've hatched other eggs and yes, sometimes, especially at the beginning I did stuff wrong but this broody has never had anything go wrong with hers. She's my favorite because she is just so good at it. But even so, every egg so far that comes from these hatchery buffs either has a chick "give up" before hatch or is weak and doesn't make it. What do you make of this?
You need an outcross to a SOP Cock. There is a lethal gene at work, if that hen is sitting faithfully , and those eggs were fertile.

Last edited:
G

Feed for hatching success, it doesn't need to be done all the time or with all birds, but if you encounter problems more than once or twice I always go to this as first line of defense. Sure poor genetic hatchery stock can and do have more problems than other more well bred stock but that doesn't mean you can't correct it if you try, and a little custom mixing of a special super duper rooster booster just may help enough to get some chicks that will past a few days and into adulthood. You have nothing to lose and everything to gain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom