Chickens for 10-20 years or more? Pull up a rockin' chair and lay some wisdom on us!

Status
Not open for further replies.
And we are still awaiting that super duper rooster booster recipe, Al.....
pop.gif
Is it secret or can you give it out?

OK here's an oddball question for you OT types. I have three hatchery buff orpingtons. Two different times now I've had a rooster around and about and just for grins, hatched a couple of their eggs. Each time, it could have been one of the three but for various reasons I think it's one in particular. The first time I did that, I was using an incubator. Only 1 chick hatched from three of their eggs. The other two had made it partway and gave up. And the one that did hatch? It was weak and died at around 3 days old. Ok, I figured, most likely my fault somehow, who knows.
So this time, I let my favorite broody set them. Four of Nine started to develop and I figure "Great!" because I know that a few hens were not receptive yet of Mr. Roo when the eggs were laid. Ok. Now.
Only one of those hatched. The rest made it almost to hatch and died. And the one that did hatch, has what looks for all the world to me like intestines coming out of it. I assume it's "egg sac" stuff and didn't get a good look at it with the broody not wanting me around them much, etc. They were getting (and still do) calf manna in 18% grower mix with oyster shell on the side along with bugs, etc. and a bird seed "treat" that my neighbor likes to toss them once a day.
I've hatched other eggs and yes, sometimes, especially at the beginning I did stuff wrong but this broody has never had anything go wrong with hers. She's my favorite because she is just so good at it. But even so, every egg so far that comes from these hatchery buffs either has a chick "give up" before hatch or is weak and doesn't make it. What do you make of this?

G, I dont know a dern thing about hatching at home but I am interested in your situation because my hens are hatchery hens, at least I think they are. I wondered if the 2 roos were different and or from different mothers? Also, if you had success with this hens eggs in the past were they the same roos? I am wondering if there is something in the environment affecting them. If the gene pool is different and the problem is the same then I feel like it would be less likely a gene issue. Can you get the brand name of the bird seed your neighbor favors them with and possibly the upc code on it? Just curious. Dont bother if you dont feel like it. I would be looking for an 8 in the beginning or end of the upc.

I found one metal object with sharp spiney slivers sticking up off a flat metal plate. Reminded me of a cheese grater, sort of, but obviously meant for livestock. Bryan told me it was to put on a halter of a calf to break it from sucking. "How would it keep a calf from sucking?" (since it obviously didn't fit into a calf's mouth!) Bryan explained that when the calf went to suck from a cow, the sharp pointy part would stick the cow's udder (OUCH!) and she would kick the daylights out of the calf..".worked every time!" he said.
Brie
Just thought I'd post a couple of old calf weiners hanging in our barn coop for giggles. The second one is a home made one my Grandpa made, the other is a different style that clamps in the nose of a calf and was store bought I guess.

Last edited:
Quote:
You reminded me of my problem.
smile.png
I got tired of telling them to go away, so,I went about my business as normal. They learned really quickly that if they stick around by me I'll shovel them with the compost. I'll step on their footsies. And I'll dump cut and bundled branches (for my fire pit) on them if they don't move. Needless to say, they no longer follow me around begging every-time I let them out while I'm out doing chores. They go about their business doing what they do.
tongue.png
Silly little things are worse than begging dogs.
roll.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom