Chickens for 10-20 years or more? Pull up a rockin' chair and lay some wisdom on us!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well it's no secret folks and I have given it out many many times over the years on the forum in different threads, PM'd over a dozen folks who requested it as well. I never recieved any feedback and a few folks I PM'd back and they said they haven't tried it yet, so mainly people ask for it but really don't want to try to fix things just want to ask and read LOL. I do know quite a few good breeders who use it often but Breeder wanna-bees and BYCer's not so much, it ain't there thing, there more cat food feed supplement type folks
roll.png

So basicly I don't post it any longer, not worth the time for me and to folks who really don't want it LOL.
Just wanted to let you know Al not everyone is NOT LISTENING. We have begun using calf manna as a suplement and given up on all others.

Hitting 17 weeks. Setting up nest boxes for birds. Doubt it matters much in my dry climate in CO, but any preferences to hay, straw or shavings for nesting material?

thank you
Michael O.
Ohhh... I get it...

All OT's are too wise, sensible and down to earth to answer such a simple honest question posed by a newcomer looking for a small bit of info.

Thanks anyway. I'll find my answer elsewhere on the web.

Well it's no secret folks and I have given it out many many times over the years on the forum in different threads, PM'd over a dozen folks who requested it as well. I never recieved any feedback and a few folks I PM'd back and they said they haven't tried it yet, so mainly people ask for it but really don't want to try to fix things just want to ask and read LOL. I do know quite a few good breeders who use it often but Breeder wanna-bees and BYCer's not so much, it ain't there thing, there more cat food feed supplement type folks
roll.png

So basicly I don't post it any longer, not worth the time for me and to folks who really don't want it LOL.
I've been listening, Al!!
I trained my chickens to eat Calf Manna-at first they wanted nothing to do with such strange food. And my husband is a big bacon lover, so the chickens get a regular dose of bacon grease on their table scraps-which I figure is pretty close to lard. After I started feeding calf manna, the hens stopped raiding the cat kibble!
Angela

Al and Bama,

This is the very first I have heard about lard for chickens. I happen to have three Crisco tubs right now that my hubby keeps buying every time we do a fish fry. I guess he does not want to use the barely opened ones we already have. If this is a valid use for them I am all ears. I give my chickies olive oil once a month but if this works then walla I have a use for All the Crisco!!!

Al, I Promise with my whole heart to buy, mix and feed your recipe to my chickens and give you feedback as I receive it (probably weekly). Please notice that is Promise with a capital p.

Mountain Momma

Al, I've been listening, too! All of our chickens are getting calf manna along with their layer feed, and they get a "pie" made of lard, scratch, whole oats, milo, barley, whole wheat and yellow corn meal all mixed up together and pressed into a paper plate (saucer f/ banties) every other day. On the days they don't get their pie, they get alfalfa. You told us about this very early in this thread...I wrote it down!

Brie

They get a "pie" made of lard, scratch, whole oats, milo, barley, whole wheat and yellow corn meal all mixed up together and pressed into a paper plate (saucer f/ banties) every other day.
That sounds like the store bought suet cakes that we put out for the wild birds. How similar is it?

Last edited:
That sounds like the store bought suet cakes that we put out for the wild birds. How similar is it?
It is very similar! That's what came to mind when I read Al's post. I just keep mixing grains and cornmeal (usually a 5# bag of cornmeal and a full horse feed bucket full of grain to a tub of processed lard (I think it's 7lbs) and keep mixing until it'll hold a shape. I put it in the paper plates & put waxed paper in between and put them in the frig. THEY LOVE IT! We haven't had them long enough for us to tell any difference, but if they maintain their appearance with this regiment, I'll be happy. We don't put birdseed in it tho...I guess I forgot that part, but they do get BOSS very frequently, too, mostly because I like to sit and watch them scratch. Especially since I found (DUH!) my M-I-L's plastic lawn chair hanging on the fence, and decided to put it to use. You know how when you look at something every day, every day, and you finally quit seeing it at all...? lol

Brie

You know how when you look at something every day, every day, and you finally quit seeing it at all...? lol

Yup, if one is not careful, that is what kills marriages.
old.gif

I just tried 1/4 cake of suet, after a couple minutes of cautiously staring at it they are now really ganging up on it. With only 5 chooks and a household that doesn't use lard, it will be easier and just as cheap for me to just buy the suet cakes when they are on sale than to buy ingredients and make my own.

I think the folks on the Oprah chicken therapy type threads would disagree, I do as you do because my processing set-up is right next to the chicken houses and the water and tricity hook-ups, it's just convienant. They hear the commotion, see the processing part and like yours do wait for their treat of butchered leftovers which I gladly offer. You are right they are unaffected by this and many other things the huggers claim as tramatizing doctrin.
I also slaughter in a convenient place rather than hiding it from the chickens, but my hubby says I am cruel and should not let the other birds see it happen. I say if he wants to tote all the tables and tools, pots, etc,into the woods where nothing can see what's going on, he can do the killing and the plucking. He has plucked a few birds, not many, but is yet to kill one.
tongue.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom