Chickens for 10-20 years or more? Pull up a rockin' chair and lay some wisdom on us!

Status
Not open for further replies.
also, another question: my chicks seem to be making a sneeze sort of sound, it's very loud, and they seem to always make it...any ideas why, or what it is?

Al, I've been listening, too! All of our chickens are getting calf manna along with their layer feed, and they get a "pie" made of lard, scratch, whole oats, milo, barley, whole wheat and yellow corn meal all mixed up together and pressed into a paper plate (saucer f/ banties) every other day. On the days they don't get their pie, they get alfalfa. You told us about this very early in this thread...I wrote it down!

Brie
AL....I m issed it I admit it but because Brie was so kind to share it again I have copy/pasted & printed what she wrote so I can add it to my chicken files binder
smile.png

I promise to pay better attention in the future !!!
caf.gif

I know there is a specific thread for "what breed chicken is this", and I have posted there. But I was wondering if anyone would have opposition to me posting to here as well....? I'd like to know what breed two mystery chickens might be, but also, I have questions about the color of their faces and combs and wattles?

I think that's an OT pet peeve...the posting of chick pics and asking what breed they are.... probably not a good precedent to start. But no one can prevent you from posting what you want....
big_smile.png

Al "drizzles" his melted lard or corn oil over the feed. I don't think he makes "pies" for his chickens. I just did that because it was easy to make a bunch ahead, and I guess I'm too lazy to do it every day. They've gotten used to the pies, and eat on them throughout the day. It takes them awhile, depending on what kitchen scraps are available, but it is always gone by the next morning.

I let the Doms out today to free range and was very nervous about getting them back in their house, but they all went in before dark and found their respective roosts, and all I had to do was close the gate. I let out a huge sigh of relief...I think I was holding my breath all day worrying about getting them all gathered up this evening. They seemed more than happy to go in for their evening feed. I want to protect them, but they can't be cooped up all the time. They've gotta be able to be who they are. Hard for me...good for them..

Brie

Al "drizzles" his melted lard or corn oil over the feed. I don't think he makes "pies" for his chickens. I just did that because it was easy to make a bunch ahead, and I guess I'm too lazy to do it every day. They've gotten used to the pies, and eat on them throughout the day. It takes them awhile, depending on what kitchen scraps are available, but it is always gone by the next morning.

I let the Doms out today to free range and was very nervous about getting them back in their house, but they all went in before dark and found their respective roosts, and all I had to do was close the gate. I let out a huge sigh of relief...I think I was holding my breath all day worrying about getting them all gathered up this evening. They seemed more than happy to go in for their evening feed. I want to protect them, but they can't be cooped up all the time. They've gotta be able to be who they are. Hard for me...good for them..

Brie
Same here...the girls were out most of the day for the first time, they'd been out for a couple of hours at a time before, but today was Their day...they went where i didn't really want them to, but they survived...one came in a bit earlier than the others because she wanted a dust bath in her favorite wallow in the run. It was like having a kid take the car on a first date, it'll be easier tomorrow. The rooster was attentive and did a good job with them and they were all tuckered out tonight and ready for bed and I swear they were smiling.

I'm using suet cakes right now....$.99 ea. at TSC and they already have the bird seed mix in them. The chickens gulp them down so quickly that I have to limit them...they would easily eat one each day and never slow down on it.

I normally don't use these kind of supplements but this current flock is in need of an extra hand up on health and need some good fat layers going into the winter...much harder to stay warm if birds are malnourished like this flock.

I'm using suet cakes right now....$.99 ea. at TSC and they already have the bird seed mix in them. The chickens gulp them down so quickly that I have to limit them...they would easily eat one each day and never slow down on it.

I normally don't use these kind of supplements but this current flock is in need of an extra hand up on health and need some good fat layers going into the winter...much harder to stay warm if birds are malnourished like this flock.
I had wondered if those were ok for the chickens. Our Kroger had them on sale a few weeks back and I bought a dozen at $0.49 each. I planned on giving them to my sister for her b'day. (She loves her wild birds.) I might sneak one and see how the chickens take to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom