Chickens for 10-20 years or more? Pull up a rockin' chair and lay some wisdom on us!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was able to pull the url from your link, get to your photo and grab it. Here's it is.
I'd like to see the full body of the chicken to really know what we're seeing...

Thank you for reposting that image and hopefully, maybe this will be a pic of the actual whole body of what I hope is a pullet. Those are her feet in the pic above. Hatched 6/29/2012. I guess they are more like 4 months old.

So much easier from a laptop. Sheesh. Here's the trio of chicks. One I'm pretty sure is a roo.

Each of the three has the little buttons on their legs as shown in the originally posted photo.

Thanks all for your patience.

Last edited:
Quote:
Okay, thanks, Bee. I won't jump to conclusions then. In 4 to 6 weeks, they should have started laying so I'll have my answer then. We heard someone crowing a month ago but whoever it was has gone silent since then. Maybe it was our imagination, or maybe he heard us sharpening the knives? We live in town, so all roos have an appointment with my scalpel here. I would be disappointed to find out that all three are roos. Though the meat would be good, I was planning on these chicks being our winter layers, since the old hens are molting and have almost stopped laying altogether for now.

What breed would y'all say this rooster is....
smile.png

This ugly, gangly monster was dumped on my doorstep the other night, from a sister who got a hatchery mistake, lives in town, cannot have a rooster....that old saw.
roll.png
NOT a bird I would ever choose or keep, so he is currently on CL and, if that doesn't work soon, he is stew meat. Not enough meat on that bird to bother dressing it out....

There are excellent breeders, many excellent breeders of quality birds. Just ask. Virtually every breed has a club, and those clubs have websites with breeder lists. First, you have to figure out what you want in a bird. Which breed or which qualities are important to you. Just let us know how we can help.

Best regards.
just when i was getting overwhelmed with frustration in trying to find education, someone contacted me about a club in the next county over. so now my search for knowledge begins. i am very grateful for this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom