Chickens for 10-20 years or more? Pull up a rockin' chair and lay some wisdom on us!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll admit, I use layer crumbles for cat litter so that could be a legitimate question from my husband
hide.gif
. The dust from the clay kind makes me sick, and crumbles clump and control smell just as good as the alternative grain-based litters except instead of paying $30 for a 40 lb bag at a big pet store for a brand name, I'm paying $13 for 50 lbs at the local mill and can just take some from the girl's stash as needed.
Darn, I never did the math. Makes sense.

It's hard to get my head around using food for cat litter, but economically, it works. I hate clay dust, too. Coats everything around the litter box.

I use Feline Pine (the Arm & Hammer substitute is terrible) because somehow it contains the ammonia odor. Makes me wonder, though, if I could find a place to buy pine sawdust cheaper.

maidenwolfx80
I credit my mini dachshunds ( weenie dogs) with scaring off many hawks attempting to kill my chickens! They start barking and heading towards the hawks even if they are far above circling, I think that's my best line of defense when the chickens are out free ranging & in the horse corrals. Those dachshunds are bred to dig vermin out of holes, they are smart and if they feel pain on their face they get more aggressive. They seem to be enough to send the hawks on their way. The hawks are over populated here.
Hawks are way over populated here as well, they are nasty and clever. I need a dog to stay out there more than my spoiled big babies that live indoors. They go out to do their business and right back in maybe it is time to teach one to stay out there longer...

Darn, I never did the math. Makes sense.

It's hard to get my head around using food for cat litter, but economically, it works. I hate clay dust, too. Coats everything around the litter box.

I use Feline Pine (the Arm & Hammer substitute is terrible) because somehow it contains the ammonia odor. Makes me wonder, though, if I could find a place to buy pine sawdust cheaper.

Wheat bran from the feed store is relatively inexpensive and works just like clumping cat litter.

For the first time I have been seeing a red tailed hawk,, maybe more than one, circling the area. My turkeys will see it and sound the alarm and the chickens run for cover while the turkeys stand out in the yard still as can be with their heads turned towards the sky until the threat is gone. That darn thing has been back every day and I am afraid he is looking for an opportunity to strike. My gpa shot one down one time when I was growing up, it swooped down and snatched a hen out of the yard and he shot the bird down and saved his hen, glad he is a good shot huh? I do not want an attack, does anyonehave any advice on how to keep them away or deter them?
Old but not an OT, newbie chicken keeper with lots of hawks around. We strung fishing line circus-tent-fashion from a tree in the chicken yard to the fence surrounding it. Can't tell you that it works for sure, but a couple days ago a big old hawk flew over the yard and coop, only a couple feet above the lines. But that was cool -- above the lines.

Oh I only cook extra for them when making for myself too, I guess I left that part out - I used to just make the s/c oats, then one time in a hurry grabbed cracked wheat by accident when I still had some s/c oats left, so I mixed them - one of those lucky accidents, for my taste anyway. I am not one for much sweet food, so I eat with added veggies like peas, corn, lima beans, broccoli, etc. instead of sugar or honey, milk, anything like that. I know it's so completely upside down, but to me it makes a yummy savory breakfast that keeps me warm and full for a long time. The girls seem to agree :)

Ok...see? We're not so crazy after all!
hide.gif

Cracked wheat, huh? I may have to try that. And, I grew up in New Orleans, where grits & cheese grits (a.k.a. manna from God
droolin.gif
) rule. And rice dishes...savory. I think you have a great idea with the sc oats...I'll try savory next time! Cheese oats? We'll see...
hmm.png

I just eat mine w some br sugar, butter, milk & either fresh fruit off my berry bushes or raisins. Birdies LOOOOVE it. With that sugar, I bet they do! I know it's not the best thing in the world for them (sugar), but I don't do it often enough to matter. But, if I do it savory, it's certainly better for them...

That is a very positive note. You either have organic or regular old run of the mill pesticide riddled feed. I would stock up with as much as you can afford. The 8 goes for human food as well. And if the human food has corn syrup then its likely GMO. Some say as much as 94% of corn in America is GMO right now. 49 Countries have banned GMO so far. Ive been hearing rumors that GMO kills chicken fertility by the third generation. I asked if anyone else heard that but got no response. also, in fruit and veggies if the upc (ex:sticker on an apple) is 4 digits it is regular pesticide riddled and if the upc is 5 digits it is either organic or GMO. So look for the 8. Even Arrow wheat bread, marketed as healthy and natural, has 8 in the upc of all of their types of bread but 2. Their website does not deny it either. We gave up our favorite bread and now buy the homemade they make at the store. GMO, It is a big experiment and could lead to worldwide starvation. If you really want to friek yourself out look into what companies are buying all of the organic companies up- and fast too. I'll stop now.
You are a woman after my own heart!!!!!!
wee.gif

ETA Dean Farms bought out Horizon Organics...and now Dean Farms is donating money towards the NON-labeling campaign in California. Prop 37 would require labeling of GMOs...but Dean Farms is against it. I won't buy Horizon EVER because of that...they lost me.

Last edited:
Absolutely! Like every other fad....only it's kinda hard to put chickens on a shelf after you get tired of playing with them. Guess that's why there are so many dogs in animal shelters etc. Commitment is something that seems to be lacking these days.
There is certainly a fad quality to chickens right now. However I think there is a little deeper thing going on . I always think about the people that started this Country.
They were oddballs with a lot of grit. Fanatics, poachers, people willing to steal to feed their families. They were divergent assertive doers that were willing to break from the herd for ideas.
I think that the genetic makeup of Americans is different than any other Country. The passivists stayed in Europe and Mexico. The people who wanted more or different came here, against huge odds, and multiplied. So looking at things like SUVs and chickens and guns I just dont think Americans will slip quietly into the night. Face it we love the idea of going off road in the suv and a grocery getter that can man handle a median is a turn on deep in the phsychological layers for Americans. Europeans ride bikes and tiny little cars or trains. They have bikes that hold 3 cars seats in Europe for Petes sake and there is something to be said for that but its not the fierce independant nature of Americans, the hardest working people in the world and possibly the reason they/we work so hard is to make ourselves rationally okay with a gas guzzler or a chicken or a gun because of the independant self reliant genes we all have to a certain extent- or we would not be here. Americans insisting on providing our own independant food and protecting our homes and taking everything with us over that median is a culture that surpasses race and creed. There is something deeply similar in every American that I dont even think the politicians realize. Americans are unique as a group and thats why I think there is so much energy going into chickens right now. The individual looks around and realizes that the food processes are deeply flawed, the economy will take years to fix and they do something intimate and extremely local to fend for themselves if needed. And like always they do it with style and in some ways with pithy in your face obtusity like frizzles and blue eggs. But that is Americans heady in love with the largesse they created in a Country they created and it shows in the music, the Suvs, and the chickens. Sure some people- a percentage will bail- but a big percentage will keep it up and certainly the children of new chickeners are going to have the lifestyle imprinted on them which may make even bigger changes in the ideas of food 20 years from now. Americans may not always fight or even vote but they have grit and they will do things and quietly be things that impress me and that I am proud to be a part of.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom