Chickens for 10-20 years or more? Pull up a rockin' chair and lay some wisdom on us!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just an update on my hen Sweet Sally and her adopted chick...both are pretty content today. Still marvel that a hen who has never been broody would take on another hen's chick....

Sort of reminds me f the movie Alien, where the little monster head bursts from the victims chest.

before that thoght, it was rely cute

RobertH

Just an update on my hen Sweet Sally and her adopted chick...both are pretty content today.  Still marvel that a hen who has never been broody would take on another hen's chick....

Sort of reminds me f the movie Alien, where the little monster head bursts from the victims chest.

before that thoght, it was rely cute

RobertH
Bahahaha! I guess it does in a way!

But on the girl adopting, I've noticed one of my hens acting sort of this way. She's not a good broody though she does go, she just isn't serious about setting. Thing is though, when another has babies, she'll sometimes do that "buk buk" that they do to call babies over to get some food. It's almost like a woman seeing another one with a baby and wanting one of her own. I've often wondered if mine would. At least I know it's possible!

Quote: I have been told anytime after 28 weeks so I am waiting patiently for them. They have grown so much in the last month I am hopeful egg time is soon.
fl.gif

I really like the idea of the large potted shrubs in the corners. My hen house is on a pretty large pasture but doesn't get enough shade during mid-day. I haven't wanted to plant a tree in the ground and have been contemplating ideas for shade (more than the shade cloth I already use) for next year. I've thought of climbing vines, etc., but this may just work.

Even though I'm pretty much headed toward letting them free-range come spring, Having that extra shade there would be useful for when they have to be kept closer to home.

Nice ideas - and hopefully there will be NO Assassination
army-salute-chick-smiley-emoticon.gif
Try a golden hops vine for shade! I planted two on the west side of my covered run this year. They scrambled up and covered that 10' x 20' chain link this very hot summer, and gave the birds total shade.My big Orps really appreciated that shade. So many people around me were loosing birds due to the heat.

Three weeks ago, I cut the vines back to 3 feet tall. Now the sun pours in just when they need it. These vines will die back to the ground for the winter, but they'll be back next spring. See my page for photos.

I think it was this thread I posted about thinking I'd lost a chick before. Only to find that it had just vanished into mowed grass!

Well, now that chick is 5 weeks old and I'm sure from it's looks and size that the momma is my SOP Black Orpington hen. So it's a bit larger at 5 weeks than one might expect. So it happened again. I was absolutely, positively sure that chick was gone for good, a hawk meal. And again momma broody thought so too. And AGAIN the little terd had hidden in a perfect spot! I'd never have thought. Good thing the chick did!!! I'm sure it helps that the chick is solid black, including it's comb.

ETA: The hawk seems to have pulled a bit of feather out of the back of the chick's head. Or maybe those feathers were already pulled out by another hen. I don't know. I dont' remember seeing that thin spot when I let them out this morning though. Caught it, getting bitten and bloody by mom in the process (lol I love her!) and it's ok.

Last edited:
Try a golden hops vine for shade! I planted two on the west side of my covered run this year. They scrambled up and covered that 10' x 20' chain link this very hot summer, and gave the birds total shade.My big Orps really appreciated that shade. So many people around me were loosing birds due to the heat.

Three weeks ago, I cut the vines back to 3 feet tall. Now the sun pours in just when they need it. These vines will die back to the ground for the winter, but they'll be back next spring. See my page for photos.

I LOVE that idea! Do they require much water?

Hops...I'm not sure if it will do okay in Northern Indiana?? I've never seen hops before.

I have two Columbian Wyandottes that are also about 25 to 26 weeks old, and haven't started yet. They're bigger than our two 20 month olds, so I hope they get started soon...
I have 1 Columbian Wyandotte that's the same age as yours, that has yet to lay too. Most of the rest of the gang are the same age - some EE's and GLW's - that are not laying yet either. If it weren't for my 2 RSL and 2 BSL, I wouldn't have any eggs at all. I'm not going to put lights on in the coop to get them laying, though. I'll let Nature take its course and when they start, they start I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom