Chickens for 10-20 years or more? Pull up a rockin' chair and lay some wisdom on us!

Status
Not open for further replies.

LOL Vehicles was the first thing that popped into my head - I've driven Chrysler products for more than 20 years, and get 200k+ miles out of every one, but they are often listed as less reliable than other makes.
hu.gif

I wouldn't have a problem buying a good used bator, and I wouldn't worry about contamination because they make these things called cleaning supplies I am told do a good job disinfecting them LOL. Just make sure everything works that's the most important thing.

Morning Al!
frow.gif

I have a quick question on top dressing for you! Can you top-dress too much, really?

I mean, as long as I'm not pouring half a gallon of oil on their food each day, is a little left over fat from a meal given several times a week ok?

Let's say I roast a chicken on Sunday, and have a couple of 24oz cottage cheese containers full of fat/broth left over. That will top dress about 3 days worth of meals for my pullets. If I dress every day or every other day, is that a problem?

They just love it so much that I hate not putting it on their food when I have it - if I take feed out without the grease in it now, they look at me like 'what's this sh!t?' hahahahahaha!

Quote: Many reasons I don't like the Brinsea, besides their poor customer service. I clean and disinfect my hatchers between every hatch. Cleaning the Brinsea is a nightmare. The dander flies up in the top (where the electrical stuff is) and it is just gross. You have to unscrew everything to get to it - to clean it out. The "basket," where the eggs go is black. You can have goo and stuff on it and not even see it. I prefer white - so I can see what is on it. The "handle," to take the lid off, is ridiculous. It will slip right out of your hand. There is no head room in there, either. Not much room at all. If you don't have a humidity pump (added expense) it is very difficult to keep the humidity up at hatch time. You have to add sponges or something. Ridiculous.

I have 4 HovaBators, that I use for hatching only. I have no problem cleaning them. The humidity is easy to keep up, too. I have 2 Brinseas, and I only use them if I absolutely have to - or I use them for wet chicks to dry off in, when I remove them from the hatchers.

I incubate in a Sportsman, and don't even worry about humidity. When I hatch, I do watch it, and try to keep it around 60%.

This is just my experience.

The truth is this. For decades we either just bought day olds, waited for a broody to do her thing, or we'd take eggs down the road to the Mennonite fellow who had a large, kerosene fired incubator. But a few years back, after we took him a large batch of critical eggs, he was called away on an emergency, the diesel ran out and the eggs died. A real bummer.

So, we looked at the stuff at the local farm stores, rejecting the el cheapo styrofoam LG types they sell and just bought an ECO on line. To be honest, we didn't do a whole passel of investigating. Also a fact, they've been bullet proof for us. Yep, they aren't perfect, especially regarding head room, but they've sure been rock solid on temps and have worked out very well.

Our next one will likely be this one: For what's it's worth. I'm sure we'll have some minor "issues" with it as well, and if you ask around, I'm sure you'll find the inevitable haters of it, but it's what we'll buy anyhow.

It's the 1588, and with optional turner, around $200 or a bit less.

But, this one still strikes such a chord with my feminine side.

Last edited:
Thank you Kathy for the additional information
Fred, your humor is simply golden
Al..What can i say. You have a ton of valuable and great information to share, especially when it is served on a laughing sharp knife.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom