Chickens for 10-20 years or more? Pull up a rockin' chair and lay some wisdom on us!

Status
Not open for further replies.
My grandparents had a dairy farm when I was a little girl and I loved the henhouse. I always felt so proud and grown up when I, at age 6, was able to gather a basket of eggs and actually walk them into the house and not drop them. Good thing I am neither blond or like to chew gum.
We have had flocks of birds through the years here on our current farm, since 1986. We have always purchased from Murray mcmurray, always had a half rigged coop so we had predator problems. Every few years we would have to replace the whole flock due to our poor workmanship on our part that allowed a coon to decimate the entire flock.
Now we have a well made, *hopefully* predator proof coop. If anything needs to be stressed, build the biggest and best coop you can afford. Make it user friendly. Make it easy to clean. We put in a "backdoor" that is full sized and makes it so much easier to clean the coop. If we didn't have the backdoor, it would be a different story altogether.
No matter what, your precious birds will get worms if their feet touch the ground and they feed off the earth. Set up a regular schedule. Your birds will be thriftier and healthier if the parasites are taking their fair share of food. And no, DE, ACV won't keep them wormfree. IF they aren't symptomatic yet with weight loss and sickness, they will eventually do so when their immune system is compromised by the parasites.
We put up gutters on our henhouse and diverted the water away from the henshouse. It has made a huge difference on water not getting in the pens and the runs.
I have subsequently purchased more expensive, breeder sort of birds. Do I like them any better than my MM birds. In reality, not really. But I haven't seen the offspring yet or seen how they lay over a several year period. Time will tell if the extra cost was worth it. But they sure are pretty to look at.
But in the end they are birds to me. I live on a farm. We actually do raise alot of our own food, have cows, and process meaties once a year. We plan to get a couple of hogs next year. My dtr wants to get a milkcow and then we can use milk and whey for the chickens and hogs. That would be awesome, but I don't have the time to take on such an endeavor since I still work full time as a nurse.
I don't believe in fru fru pets, saddles, bras or the such. I haven't had to cull any this year, but have done so in the past, especially a mean roo. He is given but two or three chances and he is dinner or swimming with the fishes.
I don't begrudge the person who treats their chickens more as pets and want to carry them in their purses. Each to their own, my grandma would say.

Last edited:
Quote:
As a 27 year old who grew up with poultry and was homeschooled, I tend toward the old-fashioned way of doing things.

My chickens free range, until there is too much snow for them to find food, then they get homegrown grain and a plugged in waterer, and once a week they get a fresh square bale of straw added to the litter for warmth.

They're fine. We've never had worms, sometimes I need to use DE, but I know what times to watch for mites now, and the dog leaves them all be.

They're fine.

Quote:
track record of sucessful hatches/surviving chicks. I don't care how crabby the broody is with ME, as long as she doesnt kill her chicks, or take them outside and forget about them. I also hate the ones who have chicks hatch and wont get off the nest to feed those ones. I found a broody with 3 chicks so I took her eggs away and put her down with the babies. She hopped back up to sit more and lef them. So I took her out again and blocked off that nest box. She found a lower-level box and took the chicks with her and sat there in an empty box till those chicks died. Stupid hen.

I have two different questions for the OT's here...

#1... I built a very sturdy but not exactly "weather proof" coop last spring... The sides are made from privacy fence sections that I cut to the appropriate height and put them as close to each other as I could but because some of them were warped (got them on freebie section of CL), they don't fit perfectly... The top is 2 pieces of sheet metal put together and I calked the holes and seam so they don't leak but the sides have small gaps... I would say it keeps about 80%-85% of the wind out but now that winter is hitting, do I need to cover the sides to keep the rest of the wind out? I've been noticing that on REALLY cold/windy nights, the chickens will go on the floor (which is just dirt at the moment) and huddle together.. I plan on putting pine shavings down for the winter.. Will this be enough or do I really need to cover the sides?

I will also add that there is no "ventilation holes" in this one since its.. well... plenty ventilated and NONE of my "chicken doors" that go out to the runs are covered.. They are free to come and go as they please..

#2... I am getting ready to start my hatching again... I've always kept the chicks in the house except the one time I had a broody pullet... I've been seeing a lot of y'all posting how it's not good to keep them in the house because it can decrease their natural instincts on keeping warm...

Problem... The "grow out" pen that I use is just an outside playhouse that I turned into a little coop and put a run on it.. Although it is weather proof enough for the chickens, it is in no way weatherproof for a light or other source of heat to use as a brooder... Do I just keep doing what I've been doing (The first few batched of chicks will be sold off so putting them out in the dead of winter won't be an issue for me) or do I put them out into the grow out pen and hope they figure out how to keep each other warm?

I would much prefer not to have them in the house but I don't want to decide their fate by putting them outside either... Just figured I would see what y'all think on the subject...

Goddess
jumpy.gif

I was going to post this elsewhere, but since is the thread where plain speakin' is encouraged...

Okay, I'm not an old timer as far as poultry goes, but I like to think that my advanced years have given me a certain amount of perspective. The question of providing heat for your flock keeps coming up. As late as the 1930's only about 10% of rural America had electricity. It wasn't until 1935 that the REA (Rural Electric Administration) was created. In 1939 the number of rural families that had electricity was up to 25%.

Since in all the pre 1935 pictures that I've ever seen I have yet to see one of chickens huddled around a campfire roasting marshmallows (assuming a chicken would want a roasted marshmallow enough to roast it themselves) or hot dogs (Even more unlikely. Where would a chicken buy a hot dog even if they had pockets to carry the money in?) I'm betting that, prior to 1939 75% of the chickens in rural America went without heat.

Last edited:
#2... I am getting ready to start my hatching again... I've always kept the chicks in the house except the one time I had a broody pullet... I've been seeing a lot of y'all posting how it's not good to keep them in the house because it can decrease their natural instincts on keeping warm...

Problem... The "grow out" pen that I use is just an outside playhouse that I turned into a little coop and put a run on it.. Although it is weather proof enough for the chickens, it is in no way weatherproof for a light or other source of heat to use as a brooder... Do I just keep doing what I've been doing (The first few batched of chicks will be sold off so putting them out in the dead of winter won't be an issue for me) or do I put them out into the grow out pen and hope they figure out how to keep each other warm?

I would much prefer not to have them in the house but I don't want to decide their fate by putting them outside either... Just figured I would see what y'all think on the subject...

I guess I would say what I always say to such dilemmas....don't hatch until you have prepared to do so. Preparation, planning, effective tools, containment and ways of keeping the chickens in a safe and proper manner are the key to successful and EASY chicken husbandry.

If you don't have a really good brood pen, don't hatch chicks yet. Build yourself a good one if you know this is something you will be doing in the future. If you just get a whim one day to hatch chicks, you still have 22 days in which to build a good brooding area...do it before they come.

Yeah...I know you can keep them inside in a Rubbermaid tote~I've placed chicks in one myself for up to a week before. But if you are serious about hatching and brooding chicks yourself, build something you can use as a permanent brood pen. The peace of mind that comes with not worrying about details such as dust, heat, cold, safety from preds, etc. is priceless~and the mark of good husbandry.​

Last edited:
Quote:
Change her zip code.

If she's in one pen, put her in another. Thats enough to throw her off. Thats all Ive ever done, and it hasnt failed to work.

Quote:
I can respect that.. The reason I hatch chicks is the same reason I sell eggs... I am a stay at home mom and homeschool my son (I do have a p/t job on Fri and Sat) and the little bit of money I make off that allows me to feed and care for my chickens... They basically pay for themselves by doing this... Again, most of the chicks I hatch are sold off so it's not that big of a deal right now to keep them in the house for a few days...

I do plan on selling my lavs eggs and *any* money I make off that will go towards building my "mega-coop" which will have 7 sections, including a brooding section... It may take me a little while to do it but it will get done eventually...

As for the way I brood them in the house, I've never used a plastic tub.. I was always afraid I would end up cooking them... LOL... I have the bottom to a dog crate on the floor and then I put one of those foldable wire small animal pens (like people would use for puppies or kittens to keep them in a small area) inside it... Then I put pine shavings in the bottom (about 2" deep) and place a clamp light for heat... Gives them plenty of ventilation and room to run around and get away from the heat if needed... The room is our "laundry room" but we don't have a washer or dryer and there is a hole in the floor under the hot water heater so they do get exposed to the outside temperature more so than they would if they were in a heated or air conditioned room...

Goddess
jumpy.gif

Quote:
Well, they made it through the night just fine and everyone is happily pecking around the yard. Wow! Who would've thought that chickens could live outside and all?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom