Chickens for 10-20 years or more? Pull up a rockin' chair and lay some wisdom on us!

Status
Not open for further replies.
After reading along so far I have learned;
ya.gif

1. I need more roosting area because I went out and really looked at my birds with a new understanding at what I am looking at.

2. Tracking my egg numbers and feed volumes will help me and is necessary to track the flocks health. I wasn't really keeping track.

3. I think I feed too much but now I can figure out what I am feeding and KNOW for sure.

About 1/2 the flock has big full crops ( I am thinking a bit too big) and I get a few insane monster huge large eggs every now and then with double
yolks.
If I KNOW how much I am feeding I can evaluate the health of my birds with better understanding.
I bet if I keep doing what I have been doing I will see a prolapse soon and/or crop issues and I do not want to go there.

4. I am going to be culling a few birds now and I am nervous. I am going to cook a store bought roaster tonight for inspiration.

5. I PICKED up my hens and LOOKED closely. All over feathers and skin and combs, etc. I saw that I had not noticed before some of the hens have feathers missing
from their backs.

Live and learn every day something new and sometimes two, +
wee.gif

Keeping track of a few things may sound like more work but I think it will save me work in the long run. Thanks OT's I wish someday to work smarter not harder.

When using a chicken hook to catch birds is it better to grab at the feet or neck?

Does a chicken plucker machine beat up the meat more than hand plucking? Is it better to keep the bird imobilized after dropping the hatchet or let em run. Does it really make a difference or affect the meat?

Do I have to scald to pluck?

I tried to post on another thread and immediately felt bad that I somehow offended another... cruddy. I do not want to hurt anyones feelers on purpose.
It is very hard to be PC these days.

I am amazed & love to hear about people canning chicken. Storing eggs in the basement in sand. Hens actually raising chicks. Raising chickens with no electricity because we lose our power often. And mostly how to keep a flock going over time. Thanks.
smile.png

pop.gif

Quote:
Times a million! I've noticed that as well since reading this thread. I truly believe mine is the last generation of decent grammar.

ETA: I'm not of the older generation this thread is geared towards but I am relieved to read things that can actually be read.

Last edited:
Quote:
Times a million! I've noticed that as well since reading this thread. I truly believe mine is the last generation of decent grammar.

ETA: I'm not of the older generation this thread is geared towards but I am relieved to read things that can actually be read.

Amen.

TruGritCkn asked:When using a chicken hook to catch birds is it better to grab at the feet or neck?

Does a chicken plucker machine beat up the meat more than hand plucking? Is it better to keep the bird imobilized after dropping the hatchet or let em run. Does it really make a difference or affect the meat?

Do I have to scald to pluck?

5. I PICKED up my hens and LOOKED closely. All over feathers and skin and combs, etc. I saw that I had not noticed before some of the hens have feathers missing
from their backs.

I've always used it on feet...never heard of using it on the neck but it just might work. I use a swing, hook, and then a gentle lift on the foot because a bird will immediately start to struggle and pull at the foot to get away~I've had them slip my hook if they fold and pull their foot just right. I've found that lifting upward on the hook will cause her to off balance on her remaining leg and just tilt forward onto her chest and wait or even stand still and wait because she doesn't want to fall down.

I've never used a plucker but I've often wondered the same thing....

It will sling less blood all over if you immobilize them but I doubt it affects the meat...at least, I've never noticed any bruising or toughness related to the "flop".

You can pluck a lot of the smaller feathers dry on a very young bird or on a duck, I've found...but an older hen or roo's feathers are like they've been superglued in. The larger feathers still seem to require the scalding to loosen them. Since I can older birds, I just skin these tougher old birds.

5. This time of year it could have more to do with recovering from molt than from excessive roo action. I'd wait until they have fully refeathered at the end of winter and then check again to see if your hens have true wear and tear there.​

Last edited:
TruGritCkn - Letting them run has always seemed a little indignant to me. We place them in a cloth funnel like thing, and hang them head down to bleed. The other benefit is that it calms them on the block. They just lay there, wrapped up and are calm as calm can be.

I'm not an OT though...

Well I suppose based on bloody noses, broken fingers, scratched forehead, and stubbed toes...

you may be on to something. Thanks!!!

Last edited:
I have some excess eggs I want to sell – not for a business,just a few I want to get rid of – is there a law against selling these? I livein Harrison County, Ohio.

Thanks!
smile.png

Quote:
I have a friend who cans her own Tuna... Hubby is a Sea Captain (sport fishing). She puts it in Glass jars.... OH MY GAWD good..... Do you can chicken in glass as well? Do you de-bone? I am very interested in canning Guinea meat when I start processing.

5. This time of year it could have more to do with recovering from molt than from excessive roo action. I'd wait until they have fully refeathered at the end of winter and then check again to see if your hens have true wear and tear there.

OK Thanks BeeKissed

The chickens in question are about 8 months old. I received the pullets from MM & they threw in a stupid mystery bird that of course is a polish crested roo that seems to enjoy jumping the hens now. MM will not thow in the extra mystery bird if you tell then not to when ordering.
barnie.gif

smack.gif
I should cull him... I did not really want a rooster or if I had one I wish it was one of the breeds of hens I have.
smack.gif
I am thinking he should go along with the crooked beak hen I have.
smack.gif
She is eating and drinking and is laying so she can stay for today.
smack.gif

I have 5 white, 4 columbian, 3 SL wyandottes, 4 dark cornish, 4 Buff Orp and the polish crested roo. I live in the cold north so the rooster is at a disadvantage anyway living here with me. I would like a cornish or wyandotte rooster me thinks.

The columbian's are slow feathering, the whites are huge, my favorites are the SL and DC.

I would think it too cold here for mites right now but greenhorn question,
hide.gif
Could it be mites? Can they live below freezing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom