Chickens for 10-20 years or more? Pull up a rockin' chair and lay some wisdom on us!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
I read that cayenne pepper would get hens to start laying again after molting - tried it, and the two quitters both laid the next day and have been laying regularly since. Could be a coincidence - who knows. I doubt it would hurt to try it for worms.

not a co-incidence.. they said, we better get to laying or she is going to hit us with that red stuff again..

LOL, I`m one of those that uses cayenne pepper to worm fowl. Fowl don`t have heat resceptors like other beings, so they eat it like candy. Worms, on the other hand, whew! Cayenne in the front, worms run out the back. I wouldn`t doubt that it works on all internal parasites. Mix it to make the feed look rusty and follow up in 10 days to get the new worms. Never tried it to encourage laying, but it might work.......Pop

Edit to say, no withdrawal. It`s all natural.

Last edited:
Quote:
That`s interresting, centrarchid. I would be interrested in the results of such a study, providing it isn`t done by the government. I wonder if the fish living in water had any bearing on your results. I`ve always had good results worming with cayenne, but have never had a vet do a fecal test. Guess I don`t trust vets very much..........Pop

Really? DE not effective if wet? Some of the recommendations say to add it to water/liquid and drink, I would think this does not change the basic composition of DE, the sharp edges that are supposed to be the effective part...? An animal/human would get no effect then at all?

Quote:
That`s interresting, centrarchid. I would be interrested in the results of such a study, providing it isn`t done by the government. I wonder if the fish living in water had any bearing on your results. I`ve always had good results worming with cayenne, but have never had a vet do a fecal test. Guess I don`t trust vets very much..........Pop

Government is unlikely to fund such a study. People that keep birds individually confined outdoors most suited for such an effort. I may try once flock size back up and dogs demonstrate ability to protect birds year round. I have a microscope to look for worm eggs.

Bass would jump out of water to take pellets from hand and once inside gut spice under same conditions as provided by chicken innards except for temperature. Chickens run at just over 100 F while my bass ranged 76 to 82 F.

Cayenne does promote hatchability of at least some kind of fish and shrimp eggs. Yolks of fish, like with chickens, are strongly affected by pigments in diet enough so color differences are obvious. Until recently we routinely mixed paprika into feed giving to broodfish to enhance egg hatch and normal developement of larvae. Some feeds as they come off shelf promote eggs with pale yolks and larvae that cretens or otherwise unthrifty. The paprika fixes that problem to a large degree.

Quote:
Sorry birdguy, DE is ineffective on anything when it gets wet. The inside of a chicken is wet, so that ain`t gonna work........Pop

I have not seen anything to suggest that wet DE is ineffective.. to the contrary.. I have read a lot of research, both formal studies and anecdotal reports, that show DE is an effective wormer on horses, cows, bison, chickens, pigs, goats, dogs, cats, humans and more.. Since all digestive systems are "wet", I would say wetness has no effect on DE.. In one university study, they even found that the DE was also passed through in the manure and prevented eggs from both flies & parasites from hatching in the manure thus preventing reinfection.

Quote:
Sorry birdguy, DE is ineffective on anything when it gets wet. The inside of a chicken is wet, so that ain`t gonna work........Pop

I have not seen anything to suggest that wet DE is ineffective.. to the contrary.. I have read a lot of research, both formal studies and anecdotal reports, that show DE is an effective wormer on horses, cows, bison, chickens, pigs, goats, dogs, cats, humans and more.. Since all digestive systems are "wet", I would say wetness has no effect on DE.. In one university study, they even found that the DE was also passed through in the manure and prevented eggs from both flies & parasites from hatching in the manure thus preventing reinfection.

Can you put DE in the drinking water?

Copied from another thread....
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=6534162

Quote:
The article in the link provided was a study concerning the effects of CALCINED DE (heat treated/melts and forms what amounts to tiny `shards of glass'), i.e., CRYSTALLINE SILICA (`radiographs' chest x-rays looking for opacities from long term exposure to crystalline silica).
Please provide link to California's outlawing of AMORPHOUS DIATOMACEOUS EARTH.

Workers in this study were employed in one diatomaceous earth mining and processing facility in Lompoc, California; operations at the facility included extraction of the mineral from open-pit mines, crushing of the ore, and heating of the crushed ore at high temperatures (calcination). When extracted, the mineral exists primarily as amorphous (noncrystalline) silica; after heating, the product typically consists of 10 to 60% crystalline silica, primarily in the form of cristobalite.

The percentages of respirable dust estimated to be crystalline silica for jobs involving exposures to natural, calcined, and flux-calcined diatomite were 3%, 20% and 60%, respectively. If the exposure was to a mix of these diatomite types, a weighted percentage corresponding to the estimated mix was used.

Amorphous Diatomaceous Earth contains <1% crystalline silica. It does NOT kill insects by cutting/tearing (it ADSORBS the waxy outer lipid layer of the insects exoskeleton). If ground even finer (more surface area) it will work even faster (some companies are doing just this and charging a premium). Both the FDA and EPA consider it GRAS (Generally Regarded As SAFE).

It is ineffective as a wormer (nothing sharp to speak of and once it absorbs x4wt. in water its desiccant property is lost). It has been tried as a dietary supplement in broilers (trying to replace antibiotic growth promoters with probiotics/etc.) and was found to interfere with nutrient uptake.

Will consolidate posts in the links below into one post (links to above info and more):

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=294680&p=2 (post #20) https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=295586&p=2 (posts #'s 11/20/22).

Only safe way to use Crystalline Silica for insect control in house or coop:
SiO2edWoodRoach.jpg

Last edited:
We use DE in our feed bins to control weevils and other pests that commonly get into chicken feed in storage at about 2% total volume and it works great as long as dry. Our hens then eat this same feed so do ingest DE every day with their feed.

We still see worms from time to time in our flocks even with DE in the food.....

DE will not work as a wormer and there is no study out there that goes into detail to show otherwise!

When we have worms in our flocks we treat with Valbazen and are sure we have solved the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom