Chickens for 10-20 years or more? Pull up a rockin' chair and lay some wisdom on us!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
Are you referring to withdrawl in that you can't eat the eggs?

Yes you are correct and average before selling is 14 days or more for many chemical wormers, as for eating them we do eat our eggs after a few days with Valbazen. We hold selling for 2 weeks unless customers do not care which most of ours do not as long as it has been 3 days or so.....

We rarely see worms here, but sometimes.....

Quote:
Are you referring to withdrawl in that you can't eat the eggs?

Yes you are correct and average before selling is 14 days or more for many chemical wormers, as for eating them we do eat our eggs after a few days with Valbazen. We hold selling for 2 weeks unless customers do not care which most of ours do not as long as it has been 3 days or so.....

We rarely see worms here, but sometimes.....

Yes, in fact when labeled for chickens, I have yet to read anything but 14 days but when used off label, I've heard 10 days for some. Eprinex and Flubenvet are though 0 days. I still would go with Dawg's advice on worming but just wanted to let people know about them both. I'm currently using Eprinex and will alternate with Valbazen. I'd love to use Flubenvet but it looks to be much too expensive for me to use.

I'll be worming some hens today, thank you! (they aren't laying much anyway.) I don't suppose pyrantel pamoate (EVict puppy wormer) will do the job? Still have some. Expired December 2007. I just remembered the state of my bank account

Last edited:
This is from an exchange in another thread. Gypsi, if yours are molting, you might not want to use fenbendazole. I can't remember who answered this or I'd give them credit.

I'm not going to argue with the others. I'll just caution you to read the label carefully before you worm during a molt. One common wormer can cause the feathers to grow back curly and weird looking if you use it during a molt. I can't remember which one it is.

You're correct Ridgerunner....fenbendazole, commonly sold as Safeguard.

Last edited:
I'm on the zero budget plan this week. Washing machine down, truck totaled by runaway semi, insurance company took off with the truck driver, and my house electrical is snap, crackling and popping again. Fortunately I bought most of the parts for it 5 years ago, since I have almost no work this week, I'm wiring outlets and going to the attic (took a class spring 2011). I want to worm them, but it's going to have to be cheap feed store stuff. My puppy wormer expired in December 2007. Big dog wormer would probably not be appropriate.

Most of the feathers are back in from their molt, they are enjoying scratch and more graze time as well as their food dish, but as long as they are not laying, I figure the timing is good. Can I feed them back their eggs with any wormers?

Quote:
not a co-incidence.. they said, we better get to laying or she is going to hit us with that red stuff again..

LOL, I`m one of those that uses cayenne pepper to worm fowl. Fowl don`t have heat resceptors like other beings, so they eat it like candy. Worms, on the other hand, whew! Cayenne in the front, worms run out the back. I wouldn`t doubt that it works on all internal parasites. Mix it to make the feed look rusty and follow up in 10 days to get the new worms. Never tried it to encourage laying, but it might work.......Pop

Edit to say, no withdrawal. It`s all natural.

Ok so it cant hurt to try right? Do i get the ground stuff? Just one days worth of food? And it is the red cayanne pepper?

I have a question for the hot pepper wormer camp, can you get to hot a pepper? If you get the ultra hot ghost pepper type can you damage the insides or "pooper shoooter" (my attempt at pc)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom