Chickens for 10-20 years or more? Pull up a rockin' chair and lay some wisdom on us!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I haven't had chickens for more than maybe 10 years total in my 55 years of life. Those 10 years have been 4H projects for the kids & grandkids. But I've had or cared for livestock all my life. I consider chickens to be livestock, so in that way I consider myself an old-timer. I'm trying to learn all I can about breeding & the genetics of Sussex; I'm a newcomer for that.
I taught our 12 year old grandson to butcher chickens this year. I did it slow, I told him he didn't have to watch me kill them. I had him watch as I started to pluck them, then I had him wash the bird for the freezer. I did 2-8 birds a day, by the time we were on the 4th day, he watched me kill them and helped with the rest of the processing.

I think a child learns to respect life by feeding & caring for an animal, and to be greatful to God when it's time for the animal to feed the person.

I use words like kill when I am dealing with kids whose parents are ok with it. However, if a friend or neighbor would prefer that I not tell their children that I'm going to kill the fluffy chicks when they get older, I respect their wishes. While I wouldn't want my own kids growing up so sheltered, how they choose their children is up to them and I see no need to interfere.

I just thought the term "freezer camp" was humorous. That and Camp Kenmore make me chuckle. For me it isn't a huggy kissy thing, it's a sense of humor.

Quote:
I know where your coming from on that note, but we have to use those terms nowadays. I prefer, kill, butcher, slaughter, stew pot, frying pan and such but too many Foo-Foo folks freak out so we have to sugar coat it for them so their little feelers don't get hurt. It's the new world order and it get's shoved down our throats so ... when in Rome.
idunno.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
what does that mean?

Beehives have to go in the sun, even in 100 degree weather in Texas. Very expensive little learning curve there. In the shade of tiny mesquite trees, the gal I bought them from was still losing 2 hives a year to wax moths. I learned THAT after I lost my hive. She gave me a couple of frames of bees in different boxes in exchange for her equipment, and told me to put them in the shade again. To which I replied yes maam then came home and put them in the sun. I was up to 7 frames of bees before I got robbed out.

Thanks for sharing. I didn't understand and hadn't heard that.
Mine are in morning sun. They seem to beard the hives a lot on hot days like they're suffering.

Sorry everyone, I know this is supposed to be about chickens.
So, on that note - I've hunted and butchered my whole life but started using the term freezer camp in the last year or so because I thought it was clever and gentle terminology for the tender hearted I normally speak to.

Last edited:
Fred's Hens :

Quote:
Very good overview. There is as much motivation for healthy, tasty food and the self-satisfaction that comes with these ventures as motivation purely for economic savings. I also don't know how one quantitatively measures the "purpose/quality of life" value added or the connecting with one's agrarian self that comes with chickens/gardening and the like.

From a purely profit motivation, the ISAs we use flat outlay and at less feed cost, and lay a larger egg than our more heritage birds. Yet, like the CX meat bird, they aren't sustainable either. I've always balked at committing 100% of our flock to ISAs. If I gave up the egg business, I'd likely also abandon the ISA layer. I'm simply undecided at this point. We just take it year by year.

Hi Fred's Hens, What does ISA mean? I can't figure it out.
sad.png

animal husbandry....which is a fancy term...but a simpleton like me preferrs its usage.......is a great, if not best way to teach youngins about life, how to live, and all about SEX!! my earliest memories is knowing why that rooster keeps stepping all over the hens.

which reminds me of a funny story.

when i was 13 yrs old we visisted some friends in by gawd WV. they had a lil 3 yr old and they had just gotten chickens. and of course like all good roosters, theirs was right amorous. the lil 3 yr old asked why the rooster kept stepping all over the hens when he walked by them. even as a 13 yr old i found it humorous. i guess i had known all about animals "mating" for all my life, it was just something natural and normal.

a great life lesson right there.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom