Chickens for 10-20 years or more? Pull up a rockin' chair and lay some wisdom on us!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
Cass,

Switch to healthy treats. Garden scraps, BOSS, a handful of fresh scratch... That's what I did. I believe my hens love of oatmeal contributed to a calcium deficiency come molting time, caused me a lot of stress and loss of eggs. (I am not an OT, but this I learned in the school of experience.)

I like to give mine hot oatmeal when it's cold out. I put recycled eggshells and BOSS in it and they eat it up.

Quote:
gig.gif
TRUE...but cleaning the poo off the decking is starting to get a little tedious especially in the cold weather. The 4 D'uccles stand on my shoes to warm up their toes. Now THAT is spoiled. LOL

The third roo in the pecking order follows my cat around trying to have someone "below" him in the pecking order. I wish I could get a picture of the look on my cat's face when she turns around and sees him there. She's like "what the heck do you think you are gonna do with me when you catch me, I have claws and teeth".

That is hilarious.
lau.gif
gig.gif
lau.gif

Quote:
Wow...I've read up to page 67 of 176 pages. Thank you everyone. I've had my 6 bird flock since April ( 2 EE, 2 RIR, 2 BR). I live in a village on less than 3/4 acre lot. I raise as much of my own food as can. I have 3 bee hives,a pond and fruit trees. I bake most of our bread have shelfs of foods that I home canned. Raising a few chickens for eggs, manure and eventually meat is a natural extension of our "suburban homesteading" or "village farm" lifestyle. When I learned that raising chickens was not against code I jumped in although a year ago I thought you needed a rooster to get eggs. With help from BYC and from my local extension..I learned enough to get started. So far 6 healthy girls and enough eggs for our family and then some.

Because the chicks were a novelty, we named them. If we have a visitor we tell them that we have pet chickens ( we are trying to keep a low profile) and let them give the girls a treat. But the family knows that once a chicken is no longer useful, it will find its way into the pot. ( Hubs is prepared to do the deed, I will process). Last night, a son's girlfriend came over to spend New Years Eve with us. As she eyed the platter of chicken wings among buffet offerings, she quietly asked me " who's wings are these?"

Quote:
You've had chickens since the year before I was born?? That's a long long time, wow.

Fred is really Old,
wink.png

Old??? Maybe a little................ wise??? Yes indeed............ And a pretty good guy to boot.

Quote:
Cass,

Switch to healthy treats. Garden scraps, BOSS, a handful of fresh scratch... That's what I did. I believe my hens love of oatmeal contributed to a calcium deficiency come molting time, caused me a lot of stress and loss of eggs. (I am not an OT, but this I learned in the school of experience.)

I like to give mine hot oatmeal when it's cold out. I put recycled eggshells and BOSS in it and they eat it up.

Oh yes they love warm oatmeal don't they...I also add some toasted wheat germ, flax seeds and honey and then stand back clear to avoid wearing it when they dive in.
smile.png

Quote:
Wow...I've read up to page 67 of 176 pages. Thank you everyone. I've had my 6 bird flock since April ( 2 EE, 2 RIR, 2 BR). I live in a village on less than 3/4 acre lot. I raise as much of my own food as can. I have 3 bee hives,a pond and fruit trees. I bake most of our bread have shelfs of foods that I home canned. Raising a few chickens for eggs, manure and eventually meat is a natural extension of our "suburban homesteading" or "village farm" lifestyle. When I learned that raising chickens was not against code I jumped in although a year ago I thought you needed a rooster to get eggs. With help from BYC and from my local extension..I learned enough to get started. So far 6 healthy girls and enough eggs for our family and then some.

Because the chicks were a novelty, we named them. If we have a visitor we tell them that we have pet chickens ( we are trying to keep a low profile) and let them give the girls a treat. But the family knows that once a chicken is no longer useful, it will find its way into the pot. ( Hubs is prepared to do the deed, I will process). Last night, a son's girlfriend came over to spend New Years Eve with us. As she eyed the platter of chicken wings among buffet offerings, she quietly asked me " who's wings are these?"

im impressed with your initiative thats quite a bit. my wife has recently started baking all our breads. too. im really enjoying it. i also appreciate your view on where the chickens stand. so many people put "pet" emphasives on them now adays. to me they are livestock. chattel. but i do take good care of them. GOD expects that much out of us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom