Chickens for 10-20 years or more? Pull up a rockin' chair and lay some wisdom on us!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
lau.gif
gig.gif
lau.gif
Hit my funnybone. Can u imagine that snake trying to pass that egg? Talk about hemorhoids...

Well, we just hit 29 degrees, wind chill to 17. When I checked them at sunset (35 degrees) they were all huddled in the communal nest box, packed in close for warmth. Fingers crossed that everyone does ok! No eggs today, though - I think they may be on strike against the cold. I'm really hoping that they'll lay tomorrow!!

Quote:
5* F here at 7:30 am. Wind chill in the negatives. Chickens are out in the run eating the scratch I put out there last night, so I don't have to walk down this morning. Brrrrr....

As far as I can tell they all made it through the night, including the 7 week old chick, but she sure is peeping loud. (Outside with her momma, instead of inside on the warm sand floor, silly chick)

I use ceramic eggs, I drew faces on them so we could tell them apart from the real eggs. They stay in the nests pretty well. I used to have alot of snake issues when I lived in Missouri, but not since I have moved here to TN, (knock on wood, LOL) Most of my hens seem to be past the molt, one or 2 are still ratty looking, but we are getting 7-9 eggs/day now from the BR's, (they were down to 1-3 per day at their low during molting) I expect that will pick up as time goes by as we are past the winter solstice. My BBS marans are starting to lay, an egg a day from 2 6 month old hens! Exciting dark brown eggs. Looking forward to the others that hatched in July and Aug. coming online!!

celebrate.gif

Quote:
That made me want to slap myself. The feed store has brown fake eggs and I almost bought one but I was standing there thinking it looks too close to real eggs (the one I have is white and none of mine lay white eggs). Gosh I can be so stupid at times LOL. ok getting another fake egg and a marking pen!

Here is for anyone else who is interested in the raised beds made out of pallets. Will take pictures of mine to show how I downsized mine.

It is titled: 5 on the farm: CHEAP Raised Bed Garden

Well, everyone made it just fine, even the chicks. Thanks so much to everyone for the support! I clearly need to get some fake eggs, though. As soon as I let the hens free range, the girls I have had for a few months tried to break back into their old baby coop and lay eggs there. The chicks weren't wild about that!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom