Chickens for 10-20 years or more? Pull up a rockin' chair and lay some wisdom on us!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not a commercial poultry producer, but I am a -serious- poultry keeper. I went to an agricultural college and studied poultry science and gamebird management and other ag subjects, and at one time I might have gone into the professional end of poultry keeping or at least cooperative extension work. My grandparents kept chickens for completely pragmatic purposes, because they had to eat and to feed a family. I keep poultry for that reason and because, yes, I enjoy keeping fowl.

There are centuries, no, make that millenia, of poultry keeping methodology and practices. Some methods are more effective than others, but to think that our modern technology is always superior to traditional practices is a fallacy. Medicated feeds, hypersanitized facilities and monoculture may increase quantity of "food output" (i.e. eggs, meat) but it is not a sustainable practice for genetic diversity, disease resistance and ecological viability for the long run. It is only for short-term turn-around product production for profit.

I would rather see hundreds of thousands of backyard flock owners with genetically diverse flocks that are not pumped full of hormones and preemptive antibiotics -- vaccinated, yes, but otherwise allowed to develop natural disease resistance through good genes and good nutrition. Medication is fine within reason and used judiciously, but not if it's pumped prophyllactically into flocks so that "Super germs" can emerge and the birds have no natural resistance to any pathogen.

We would not raise our children in hyper-sanitized bubbles to keep out all pathogens, nor pump them full of hormones to make them grow faster. We wouldn't isolate them from socializing with other children and learning important social skills... while also being exposed to pathogens to which they would develop resistance and immunity. We wouldn't feed them medicated foods; we just wash the fruit under the tap and make sure the meat is thoroughly cooked and try to keep them from eating dirt and poop. We just observe reasonable care and caution in what they are exposed to and what they eat. They thus develop natural resistance, grow normally, and socialize well. Animal/poultry husbandry should be no different.

I wish just one person could give me a link showing where commercially raised chickens are given hormones.

They aren't in the U.S. for fowl or pigs. Unless you count soy-based feeds, with phyto-estrogens as a natural part of soy.
wink.png
I was taking some "literary license" there, well, actually I was thinking in terms of chickens full of antibiotics and cattle full of growth hormones or milk-production hormones, but the two concepts kinda merged there.

I wish just one person could give me a link showing where commercially raised chickens are given hormones.

Halo, they cannot, because chickens are not given hormones, to the best of my newbie knowledge.
Sue

PLEASE do not quote or respond to trolling. Please report instead.

In case someone doesn't know, it is the red flag in the lower left of any post.

Thanks! I haven'tlooked for alot of reources yet..I'll check on the licensing. .its been a few years since I raised many chickens for my family. Older now, disabled, interest in chickens recently renewed actually rescingthe little banty hen in my avatar pic,from dogs,and saving her. but she kinda makes me think about them again. and just considering, most casually at this point, if a small laying flock egg business is viable as a part time income. When I see fresh yards eggs, though not labled organic, for sale ariund here, sometimes at local mom and pop stores, they run $3. And the few I know that keeptheir own laying flocks mainly for own use, seem to seel their extras easily, just word of mouth. Many use clean used egg cartons, lol, they keep the word outto everyone they know, bring me your cartons! some trade some eggs for extra cartons people bring them. Though if selling many on regular basis, would have to buy new cartons. We have a local feed store that will order them for you at a minimal mark-up on cost to them. We have no coops around here...I'm rural, outskirts of large urban area.

There is a lot of great information on selling eggs. You don't have to be certified organic if you sell under a certain dollar amount. I've been talking with a number of people who sell their eggs in a number of different ways; people come to their farm/home, farmers market, and co-ops. Some get $5.00 a dozen! Most are getting around $3.00 a dozen. Every state has different licensing requirements, but where I live the license cost is only 10, or 15 bucks -- I would have to look to give you the exact amount. You need refrigeration, and new egg cartons -- at least in my state. Will gladly provide a lot of links and information. I've also been talking to people about how to reduce their feed cost. There are some really cool ideas.

WOW....there are no USDA approved hormones that can be added to feed for any food animals in the USA. BUT it was common practice in the 30's, so people are repeating old information.

HOWEVER there ARE antibiotics given to commerically raised chickens because of the crowded conditions they are grown in. And these antibiotics are giving rise to super bugs both in animals and humans. Soooo there is something to growing your own for better food for your family....but it isn't about growth hormones, it's about something with far more reaching effects.

Lots of good points to think about here. Thanks.
I was just thinking of getting some more banty's to go with my "chicken little" rescue hen, but thinking "chicken" is getting to me, lol!

I'm considering and trying to list things I have going for me, actually quite a lot already,in way of experience and materials on hand, even a 12 X 60 concrete slab my kennels were on, and probably enough still intact kennel panels and chain link to secure it against dogs. quite a store of misc salvaged lumber and other building materials in shed...love CL free! Even a 12 X 12 aviary, wood and all hardware cloth covered, someone will bring over on a flatbed and set on the slab. i guess I'm in a rather unusual situation in I'd not really have to buy a lot of expensive building materials. And old feeders and waterers in the barn.

...then what I'd need to get and do. Decide if its practical. and given my no longer being so young and strong, doable. I know taking care of the chickens is doable,just getting the building stuff done.

Your questions and poiints are going onto my list.

Have you checked Craig's List for your area to get an idea of what fresh eggs are going for? And how much do you pay for feed? Are you able to cut those feed cost with any free ranging (or back yard foraging)?

My first egg cost me $1200. I will never recover those cost no matter how many eggs I sell, unless I live to be 1000 and that's not likely. Do you have to put up more coop space to add to your flock? If so, can you do it without incurring huge expenses? (Materials free from CL, etc)

How many others are already selling eggs in your area? If there are quite a few others what do you have to offer that they are not offering? (Are your breeds laying colored eggs, are you organic, is your egg size bigger, etc?) Do you have breeds that others will pay bigger bucks for hatching eggs?

Are the people you give eggs to willing to pay for those eggs? Does your state have any requirements for egg sales? Can you meet them without any huge expense? Do you have a social network that will help you "advertise" without anything that can be traced by the government if you can't meet state requirements for egg sales?

Are you able to afford feeding chickens that aren't old enough to lay ? Do you have brooder space to grow your own "replacement" hens? (eat the extra roos, they are yummy)

These are all things that will help determine if you can actually make money selling eggs. In any business venture there is a point where you either have to expand or cut back on customers. Think about what you want to and/or are able to do when that point comes, cuz to be profitable on a regular basis you need to know what you are going to at that point before it happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom