Chickens for 10-20 years or more? Pull up a rockin' chair and lay some wisdom on us!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have used quite a bit of it actually. I can't pin it down, but I like the farmer, Old timer, many years experience, no nonsense, non pet aspects of this thread.

I have added ACV to my chicks regimen for pasty butt.

I feel like I now have a PHD in chickenry, not through years of experience, but gleaning that information through a lot of the chaff posted.

I didn't know apple cider vinegar was for pasty butt. I do know that it's good for them though. And helps keep the nasties down in the waterers. I've sometimes wondered if my hens get messy bums from excess protein? Like when I scramble some eggs back to them... I know my dogs have loose goings when they've gotten protein treats or if you've ever upped protein in dry dog brand food.

I also like the livestock aspect of chicken keeping. After loosing my first favorite, then a second favorite, then a third favorite and fourth (in almost four years of keeping chickens and ducks) I've not only refrained from picking out favorites, I've doubled my flock and tried to keep in mind that in the real world of self sustaining and farming, this flock serves a purpose and making me worry, cry and agonize isn't one of them.

Needles to say, I love them very much in spite of their comings and goings :)

it could be the source of protein itself causing problems in dogs. alot of the proteins is rendered animal fat. that is preserved to keep it from rotting. its the preservatives that arent good for any living thing. if you read the ingrediants and it mentions animal fats. stay away from it. there has to be something in it to keep it from rotting. if you think about it. dog /cat food lasts a LONG time with out refrigerating it. what other types of food that are supposedly meat based, last this long w/o rotting???

upping protein in chickens will give them more energy, causing them to be more active. if done enuff and for long enuff time period they will work the breast right off themselves. to much can also burn up their feathers.

chickens dont need near the amount of protein that all the books, and feed bags recommend. you can get by with 13-14% protein and they will do just fine. the secret is the TYPE of protein that you feed. the only time you need to up the protein in your common everyday yard flocks is when they are going through their natural moult. if you allow them to do this. then they need additional protein for the formation of new feathers.

If "getting by" is your goal I'm sure chickens will survive on 13% protein. If you'd like them to do more than survive you'll want to feed more protein than that.
I've fed a 22% protein feed for years & my birds seem to have good breast development & I've yet to have their feathers "burn up".
Since I started feeding higher protein I've observed that my birds develop faster & feather faster with improved feather quality. They also lay well & have good fertility.I know several other show breeders who feed similarly with similar positive results.
As to their longevity I have 2 11 year old hens wndering around the yard. They don't lay very often any more but they still look good. Ordinarily Iwouldn't have kept them around this long but one of them was a class champion at the 2004 APA National & the other has always been her pen mate. They're retired here. Not the sort of thing I usually do.

ETA: Pasty butt in chicks is usually due to too cool brooder temps. Not sure how vinegar would affect that. I'm also not convinced vinegar does any of the magical things it's purported to do. Don't get me started on DE.

Last edited:
I'm thoroughly convinced of the natural probiotics and the good benefits found in unpasteurized ACV. I'm also convinced of the vitamins and minerals in regular ACV.

NYC, maybe you could read some of the info on this thread...it might be an eye opener.
smile.png
There have been plenty of studies done on the properties of vinegar and the benefits therein, so I can't imagine how much more convincing the information has to be to show it has benefits.

I've never had pasty butt in my chicks and I never monitor brooder temps...but I do use the ACV in the water. Purely anecdotal info, but most everything I do and find success with is anecdotal and I've come to appreciate it even more than scientific evidence.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...osis-and-other-poultry-diseases-in-chicks-acv

If "getting by" is your goal I'm sure chickens will survive on 13% protein. If you'd like them to do more than survive you'll want to feed more protein than that.
I've fed a 22% protein feed for years & my birds seem to have good breast development & I've yet to have their feathers "burn up".
Since I started feeding higher protein I've observed that my birds develop faster & feather faster with improved feather quality. They also lay well & have good fertility.I know several other show breeders who feed similarly with similar positive results.
As to their longevity I have 2 11 year old hens wndering around the yard. They don't lay very often any more but they still look good. Ordinarily Iwouldn't have kept them around this long but one of them was a class champion at the 2004 APA National & the other has always been her pen mate. They're retired here. Not the sort of thing I usually do.

ETA: Pasty butt in chicks is usually due to too cool brooder temps. Not sure how vinegar would affect that. I'm also not convinced vinegar does any of the magical things it's purported to do. Don't get me started on DE.
believe you me, it more than getting by here. or it was. and you miss the point of its the "type" of protein. the protein in most all store bought feeds is plant based. soy beans usually. perhaps if you really spend some money and feed them pigeon type feed, you will get other types of peas and legumes. which is great stuff. (the pigeon feed, not the soy bean IMO) and when i was showing fowl, and was getting them ready, i would up the protein, but not with some store bought crap in a bag. but for your everyday run of the mill fowl, they dont need 22% to get by and to thrive. i feel genetics is more important than diet. course to me, its not all about looks. when breeding and raising, it was the total package that was sought after. breeding for standard and looks is the ruination of most all types of animals.

I'm thoroughly convinced of the natural probiotics and the good benefits found in unpasteurized ACV. I'm also convinced of the vitamins and minerals in regular ACV.

NYC, maybe you could read some of the info on this thread...it might be an eye opener.
smile.png
There have been plenty of studies done on the properties of vinegar and the benefits therein, so I can't imagine how much more convincing the information has to be to show it has benefits.

I've never had pasty butt in my chicks and I never monitor brooder temps...but I do use the ACV in the water. Purely anecdotal info, but most everything I do and find success with is anecdotal and I've come to appreciate it even more than scientific evidence.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...osis-and-other-poultry-diseases-in-chicks-acv

Not arguing, but if you do a search here for pasty butt, you get a slew of threads. Looked to me that it happened because of the stress of shipping which also could be construed as not enough heat. I do know that I had 2 heat lamps in mine (enclosed trailer [learned here]) and it burned up my thermometer so even after raising it, I assume it was warm enough as they spread out all over the trailer (another sign that they aren't cold but.... they weren't panting either) In the threads here, one fella has used molasses for many years which has helped his, whereas others have chastised this member for telling others that his remedy works and recommends ACV. I have never seen non pasteurized ACV so went to my grocery store and bought the regular. 2 days of pasty butt, I cleaned and pulled feathers.... not intentionally... then added the ACV..... a few glugs to a 5 gallon bucket (125 chicks). Next day or so, no more pasty butt.... Coincidence.... maybe....

Here's a question or two for anybody that may have applied anything they've learned on this thread:

What information, if any, did you use?

Is it presently working?

I read most all this entire thread. I did skim towards the end do to off subject stuff.

I am wanting to share what I have learned. Even if it goes on deaf ears. I feel I earned it.

I took on these responsibilities when I brought home chicks.

a chicken is just that, a chicken. Keeping this in mind everyday.

a chicken is livestock when you depend upon it for your lively hood or earn it's keep. Mine are just that livestock..... (only pocket change thou) Lol
a chicken is a pet when it don't earn it's keep.
Build your coop first before you get your chicks This one I missed. Got my chickens first! :( Lol

chicks are not as fragile as first thought and shouldn't be treated as such for their own good. not mine. I totally am doing this one! No heat in coop since moved there.
more room for your chickens is better in the coop than not enough, less cleaning up poop, more room in weather when the chickens don't leave the coop. Working on this as my coop is not done yet. but soon and will be large enough for my chickens.
Your chickens should be a breed that can tolerate the weather in the area that you live in. I believe mine are.
A chicken can handle the cold, they don't need a light, they have a down coat on. they do best with out a draft. My coop will not have heat. Just sun light.
your coop should have dry litter and lots of ventilation, and no drafts in winter. My coop will be draft free With dry litter.
your coop can be painted or not your choice. I am not painting the inside of my coop.
your run and coop should be predator proof. with dogs or fence or both. or more Have dogs and fence.
If a predator gets a chicken, I didn't predator proof well enough. my fault. I hope I did it right the first time!
Dogs and cats have their jobs. nobody gets a free ride. cats are mousers and dogs chase predators. My 1 yr old male cat caught a rat! Great cat!
store bought feed VS homemade feed. your preference. Homemade Feed rules! IMO
know what you are feeding your chickens. and how to feed your chickens. I make my own feed. Did tons of research and my chickens are looking great!
manage your flock. watch for changes. keep records. I am totally getting to know my chickens. I watch them regularly.
Cull is not the word for Kill I didn't know this but do now.
cull your flock as needed. weak birds will bring disease to your flock. Kill or donate your culls but don't waste them. I haven't needed to do this yet. haven't lost a one. (yet) I have 40 and I am willing to do what ever it takes to keep the flock as a whole healthy.

Prevention is the best medicine. always has been and always will be. I am keeping things clean, but not obsessive so they can build their tolerances up. I have been adding ACV to their water from day 1.

I am in chicken school each and every day as I manage my flock. I will always be in chicken school.

I would rather learn from an OT than someone who has read it in a book. cause they have Lived it they have hands on experience.

I am truly grateful for this thread as it has truly enlightened me.

Thank you OT"s for sharing your life with me. I enjoyed it immensely.
Lisa
ps I learn something new everyday.
If you are an old timer and you see something out a line here please let me know.
I am always willing to learn.

Excellent feedback! It always tickles me when someone actually applies their learning...it takes a certain daring, a certain bravery to step out of the box and actually DO something to see if it is effective, or not, to see if it applies to your flock, or not. Only when one tries something can they give reliable, first hand witness to its efficacy....if not, you can only say you read something, somewhere, that someone else had tried but that it hadn't worked or that it worked real well.

No, often anecdotal stories aren't the proof that most people are looking for...but every theory was once just a theory until someone applied it.

I'm a person that has to know why. I do as much reading and research into a subject as I possibly can until I find the why....if I still cannot find the why, then I work from the "why not". Why not try it to see if it works? If it works but you still don't know why, does that take away from the fact that it works? Nope.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom