Chickens for 10-20 years or more? Pull up a rockin' chair and lay some wisdom on us!

Status
Not open for further replies.
does it seem to you the hatch rate is better? I'm going to be working out a better arrangement for them somehow...first I gotta buy some snake gators before I go in there I think.

does it seem to you the hatch rate is better? I'm going to be working out a better arrangement for them somehow...first I gotta buy some snake gators before I go in there I think.
sometimes yes it is. I had one this spring I tried to move and broke. She was just really not in a safe spot. It was about 35 degrees out, and she had only been on the nest a few hours. Her 1st day of sitting. Those eggs were surprisingly warm. Being she broke I gave her eggs to another broody who was in a safe spot. Many of my girls seem to prefer the dirt, and thankfuly nest in areas I can enclose them for the night. Under a porch, outdoor garden sink etc.

Al, your comment reminds me of a Catholic wedding I once attended where the priest told the congregation during the ceremonial remarks how thankful he was that this wedding was being held in a Catholic church, the house of the Lord, and not just someone's backyard; thereby, insulting every darn person gathered there that was not married in a church. To which, I thought, having not been married yet, well, it's my wedding and I'll hold it wherever I please. And eventually, I was married in a lovely barn, and I do believe the Lord was allowed in as well. So I say to each his danged own, being as it's their chickens, er wedding.

LOl yeah some people get offended at every turn about every little thing these day's, it's the "IN" thing to do it seems, perhaps that buzz word and Fad will see it's better day's soon LOL. I quit looking over my shoulder years ago at these people, I am offended that their offended at being offended LOL. I was just saying it's good to see a hen making her own choices these day's, she's gonna raise her chicks sayin..... see this is the old school way............... and the chick will then reply................ really dude......... seriously.......... wheres my latte heheheheee.

Don'tcha just love Spring and Summer? Have a hen - in the dirt, not a shread of bedding straw - under an old rabbit hutch (rabbits have moved indoors under a/c for the summer), one up on top of the hay in the HOT hay barn, and one under the ramp going up to the baby duck pool (at least she's in the shade 90% of the time). There are lovely clean igloo dog houses in the shady coop w/ lovely clean nesting materials just waiting for them. The ducks use them, but not the hens. Have many chicks already on the ground, and looks like I'm about to have many more! I just let 'em do their thing. The one in the haybarn better hustle tho - I have a load of hay coming! I just switched to sex links this year (from RI reds and Dominics), so this is thier first time brooding chicks...I like 'em.

I am back for more great advice. I got rid of my 5 mean, non-laying old rir's. the other 7 hens getting along fine with their new pecking order. Now I have added(last thursday) 2 wellsummers(just started laying and same age as previously added cucu marans) and 3 eee pullets about 4 months old. Getting along fine-pecking order getting established, but no one mean. I let my hens out every afternoon from 4 to 7:30, and plan on letting the wellsummers out with them this afternoon. MY question is : when should I let the ee's out? With this crazy tropical storm hanging around, I need to be able to keep the door to coop open, so when the pouring rains comes, they all run back in.

Has anyone had experience with Night Guard Predator devices? I would appreciate input, negative or positive.

I haven't but have read positive reviews on it. I'd really have to see it to believe it's effectiveness and wonder if a person could just make their own without all the expense....just some red film over lightbulbs in a motion sensor setup, some clever taping off of the motion sensor lights to form "eyes" and away you could go.

Please let us know if you try them and what results you have?

MY question is : when should I let the ee's out? With this crazy tropical storm hanging around, I need to be able to keep the door to coop open, so when the pouring rains comes, they all run back in.

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]With a storm coming, I wouldn't let new pullets out until they know where home is. For the first few days I have to catch mine and put them in the coop, easiest done when they have settled under a bush to sleep. I would not want to do this in a major downpour. [/FONT]

I haven't but have read positive reviews on it. I'd really have to see it to believe it's effectiveness and wonder if a person could just make their own without all the expense....just some red film over lightbulbs in a motion sensor setup, some clever taping off of the motion sensor lights to form "eyes" and away you could go.

Please let us know if you try them and what results you have?
I used the Nite Guard lights for the first time this year to keep our rampaging deer herd from munching on my big Hydrangea bushes outside my fence. Soap, human hair, and even coyote scent had not worked. Problem solved INSTANTLY. These are really great. No sign of any coyotes or raccoons trying to dig into my chain link runs either.
Just be sure to buy from a US seller if you buy them online!!! There are lots of fakes out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom